What if your yeast hasn't worked in 4 days...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apendecto

Reaction score
It's been like 4 days and I haven't seen any activity from the yeast. What do I do?

Possibilities...

1. I didn't shake it like crazy. I took the fermenter down stairs and shook for 30 seconds a few times.
2. I didn't dehydrate the yeast well. I forgot it should dehydrate around 95 degrees and it was more like 75.
3. I didn't pitch enough yeast. When I poured the yeast in, a decent amount remained.
4. Bad yeast. I didn't proof it when I dehydrated it and don't know if it was still decent.
5. Temperature of fermenting. Maybe it's too cold in my cellar?
6. I'm impatient. Maybe it just needs some time.

Any ideas? How can I salvage this?

Thanks.

Here is the recipe I brewed.....

6# Wheat LME
8oz flaked Wheat
8oz flaked Oats
1/2 Hallertau Tradition boiled for full 60 mins
1/2 Chinook boiled for 60 mins
Danstar Munich Dry yeast

Carboy or bucket? What are you basing the lack of activity on?

If you truly have nothing after 4 days it's time to get a new yeast package and repitch. Just don't rely on the airlock as an indicator - if it's in a bucket, peek in carefully and see if there's any evidence of krausen either on the surface of the beer or clinging to the sides of the bucket just above the liquid line. Often the buckets don't seal well and fermentation will happen without any airlock activity. On the other hand, if it's in a carboy it should be pretty obvious whether fermentation is going on (or has been). Take a sample and check the gravity; if it's lower than your OG (assuming you took one) then things are happening. Think evaluation before action (credit to Revvy :D)

1. Oxygenation is not super critical with dry yeast - according to the mfgr they are already conditioned with the lipid proteins that are necessary for reproduction so it should take off anyway.

2. Unless you rehydrated in 120+ water you shouldn't have hurt it.

3. You left some in the package? Unless it was close to half the package I think it still should have started, but it could explain a long delay.

4. Could be - did you notice the expiration date? It also could have been stored improperly. It was a new sealed package, yes?

5. Is it below 60 in the cellar? If so, then this could be your problem.

6. 4 days is a reasonable time to wait before starting to worry.

I'm not sure where you went wrong, but something did. You should definitely pitch new yeast ASAP before something else decides to eat your wort.

It won't hurt to re-pitch the same yeast, but unless you've taken a hydrometer reading then you can't be absolutely positive the yeast have not started. Ifishsum answered your points very well.

Before we trouble shoot we need to know what his definition of "no activity" is dontja think? Is he defining it as airlock activity then we know what the standard answer is? Has he taken a hydromter reading yet?

We know where these inquiries usually lead. "No I didn't take a hydro reading." Then "Oh, well my hydro says.....I guess it IS fermenting after all..."

Going by the words definition "no activity" and trying to prescribe a "cure" like pitching more yeast is like having a doctor take one look at you without even doing a basic examination and making a decision to cut something open.

You guys are great. Let me go get a reading.

In the meantime, I'm using a Better Bottle and there is no evidence of the foam/hops residue on the walls and I see no air lock bubbling.

Thanks.

Gravity is exactly what it was when I started (1.042).

Can I just toss more yeast on? Should I scrap this batch?

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your help.

Now that you know the grav, (which is really the only good way to ascertain what is happening with your beer, NOT bubbles in an airlock, and it's the same, then toss in some yeast.

Do you need to use Danstar? I have never been a fan of it. I find that I get better results with safale Us05 and 04 for my dry yeast needs. Which is 90% of my beers.

Thanks for your help.

Don't toss it! Do pitch more yeast. You can either try to rehydrate again or do like a lot of people do and just sprinkle it on the wort. I just dump it in the carboy myself, does the job every time.

Yep, more yeast is called for! That Danstar Munich yeast is fine to use. Maybe your package got frozen or something- usually it's really quick to work.

Do you have another package? If you do, just rehydrate according to package directions and gently pour it in. As Conpewter said, you could just sprinkle it in, too. Either way would be ok in this case.

Thanks for the advice. What effect might this have on the beer? I know there are too many varibles to be sure, but is there a chance it could still turn out alright?

Again, thanks.

Uh Oh...I feel Revys gonna post his infamous "yeast dissertation" post...Ya better watch it...Oh No Here It comes...lol...Just kidding Revy...Seriously though...Check out the links Revy has for Yeast...I think they are going to start mandating it in High School..."Yeast and You..."...

If your sanitization practices are sound, then everything should be fine. There won't be any noticeable effects on your beer.

if its dry yeast you can just pitch another pack in, or hydrate it and pitch. unless anyone feels otherwise, just pitching the yeast should be fine. Good luck!

If you bought both packets of dry yeast at the same place & time, I would suggest rehydrating and proofing the new packet before you pitch it. A little sugar can go a long way towards reassurance that this packet is viable, and not previously baked or frozen. I'd hate to be in the same spot in another four days.

Back