A Proven IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
I have looked at recipe after recipe and they all, of course, vary by a few details. As we know a few minor details can mean the difference between a good and a great beer.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a Great IPA recipe?

Thanks

Reverend

here comes a parade of people pointing you to their OWN IPA recipe, because (naturally) we each brew the best IPA there is.

:)

-walker

I'm bottling YOURS this weekend, Walker, 'cept that I screwed it up. In your extensive hops additions, I somehow missed the Chinook you use for bittering; I ended up having to use the Cascades I bought for dryhopping instead (bought more for dryhopping later). Still optimistic it'll be good.

Yeah.... I know. 'effed up, what can I say? Don't know how I missed that, I added up all the every-five-minute hop additions and missed the biggest one. I'm just glad the recipe called for dryhopping, otherwise I wouldn't have at least had tge extra ounce of Cascade to use for bittering. I have no expectations that it'll really be much of an IPA, but the sample I took when racking was still pretty good. Reminded me an awful lot of the Boston Ale I did first, which I'm pretty sure also used Cascade.

the_bird said:
Yeah.... I know. 'effed up, what can I say? Don't know how I missed that, I added up all the every-five-minute hop additions and missed the biggest one. I'm just glad the recipe called for dryhopping, otherwise I wouldn't have at least had tge extra ounce of Cascade to use for bittering. I have no expectations that it'll really be much of an IPA, but the sample I took when racking was still pretty good. Reminded me an awful lot of the Boston Ale I did first, which I'm pretty sure also used Cascade.
I think you'll still be happy with the results, bird. Some people think my IPA is a little TOO bitter. I've never brewed without the 60 minute hop addition, but I think you should get a decent amount of bitterness just from the NB+cascade that you are continually throwing in for the last half hour.

-walker

Back up, I *did* have a 60 minute hop addition - 1oz Cascade instead of 0.75oz Chinook (and I still was able to dryhop). I'm not totally hosed. I know I'll lose some IBUs because the Cascades were like 6% AA and the Chinook like 13%, but at least I had a little more of them than your recipe called for.

I also completely forgot to take a hydometer reading, which I thought was appropriate because it is, well, YOUR recipe.

the_bird said:
I also completely forgot to take a hydometer reading, which I thought was appropriate because it is, well, YOUR recipe.

LOL.

If you HAD taken a hydrometer reading, you wouldn't have anything to compare it to. :)

-walker

I'm going to bottle my IPA this weekend. So far it's tasted great. I posted the recipe in a previous thread but I think I can find it. I post some results when I taste it again.

Back