Turkey baster fell in carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jms5180

Reaction score
just the tube part. It feel into the carboy when taking a hydro reading. It was cleaned and sanitized so not to worried. I thought about trying to get it out but I think it will be basically impossible. I'm just going to leave it until bottling. Thoughts?

Just leave it. Was it for this purpose only or did you steal it from the wife? If it had turkey grease on it at some point, it might screw things up. . .that cheap plastic is almost never clean.

I've been pretty succesful fishing stuff out of carboys, but if you're pretty sure it was clean and sanitized, don't sweat it. It'll come out when you clean the carboy after fermentation.

I've been pretty succesful fishing stuff out of carboys, but if you're pretty sure it was clean and sanitized, don't sweat it. It'll come out when you clean the carboy after fermentation.

what did you get it out with?

Yea it was clean and sanitized, I actually think I have a better chance of introducing infections fishing it out then leaving it in there

what did you get it out with?

Yea it was clean and sanitized, I actually think I have a better chance of introducing infections fishing it out then leaving it in there

Then I'd definitely leave it be. But to answer your question, I've used narrow SS tongs, and sanitized bare, thick gauge copper wire. For something like a baster shaft I'd probably try to bend the wire in a shape where you could wedge it down into the shaft, then pin it against the interior wall of the carboy and slide it up til it's close enough to the opening you can get a finger in it and pull it out.

Better yet, a pair of needle nose pliers to bend the very tip of the wire into a hook that's narrow enough to get all the way through the baster and hook the other end, then just pull it out. "Getter" magnets for stirbars and copper wire can work well together too. The getter magnet on the outside of the carboy, the wire on the inside.

The hooked wire idea is your best option...

Again though, if you think you'd INCREASE the chance of infection, may as well just leave it.

Back