how to clean picnic taps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustangfreak

Reaction score
While I was deployed last year, I left my keezer running. When I returned I was surprised to see a lot of mold inside. :(

How do I clean the picnic taps and make sure there is no more mold inside of the tap?

I clean my picnic taps the same way I clean everything else with my kegerator: run oxyclean through it, followed by starsan.

Just fill a keg up with hot oxyclean, and pump it through the picnic taps.

Yeah, I run hot oxiclean through them, let them sit a few minutes, run it again, let it sit a few minutes, then run starsan and I'm done.

If you really want to clean it, the end unscrews and the whole thing comes apart. I found some really funky stuff in mine the first time I did that :)

-Joe

How do I clean the picnic taps and make sure there is no more mold inside of the tap?

Take it apart (the top unscrews) to expose the silicone stopper and soak the parts in a mild bleach solution.

tappicnic.jpg

Get a plastic spray bottle and fill it with cheap vodka. Once you get the taps clean, a spritz every now and then will keep them that way.

If the taps are REALLY nasty, replace them. They only cost a few bucks.

I do like the idea of using a cheap Vodka as a spray. I'm using some really diluted bleach right now, and the Vodka would be a much better idea.

Take it apart (the top unscrews) to expose the silicone stopper and soak the parts in a mild bleach solution.

tappicnic.jpg

once you unscrew the top, you can press in on the silicone stopper and disengage the handle from the plunger. the plunger, spring and cap will all seperate and it will be easier to clean.

Back