Bad disconnect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jace

Reaction score
I just started kegging and bought 2 new ball lock gas and liquid quick disconnects. My problem is, my gas disconnect is nearly impossible to get on and twice as hard to get off. I've tried 2 different kegs. Am I doing something wrong or do I have a bad disconnect ?

Are you connecting to the correct side of the keg? I tried to put the gas on the liquid once and it was not fun to pull it back off.

mine are a ***** and a half......im deffinitly doin it right but atleast i dont have to worry about them coming off

Yes, I'm sure I am connecting to the correct side of the keg. On that thought I see the disconnects are color coded grey and black. are they "fitted" that only one is liquid and one is gas? I don't think they were labled any certain way.

Thanks for the replies and help.

Did you try greasing those suckers up with keg lube?

All my new connectors were tight at first, but a little lube and putting them on and taking them off a couple of times and they are easy to use.

You may have the posts on the wrong side. Check the in side posts. On a ball lock they are often notched at the base. If it is not switch the actual posts.

Did you try greasing those suckers up with keg lube?

All my new connectors were tight at first, but a little lube and putting them on and taking them off a couple of times and they are easy to use.

ok is keg lube really worth it? i had considered it but i was afraid of off flavors in my beer.....

Ok, this might be obvious for those of us with experience, but maybe not for a first timer (by no means calling first timer 'stupid' or insulting in any way- we all started as newbs).

You are pulling up on the outer snap ring before you try removing it? I find it a little easier if you rotate them around to ensure they didn't have any residue or anything that could cause them to stick, then pull em off.

Grab a long handle wrench or pliers, and use the keg handle as leverage- you can do this by yourself but might be easier with a third hand so you can steady the tool as you pull up wring and smack the handle a little.

ok you might have the post on the wrong side, most gas in post have a notch on the fitting , some are star shaped. That would definately explain you problem. Examine both sides one of the nuts should have a notch on it. Google ball lock gas in and you should come up with some good pics. YOu might try connnecting liquid (black) to the In post just to see if its easier , if it is , you know you have them mixed up.

Yea, that's what it was I had the disconnects on the wrong lines.

Thanks alot for the help, I appreciate it

Another happy customer.
BTW if you ever find ball lock pegs that don't have little notches on the bolt (indicating the gas fitting) the other way to tell is that the beer line connector has a little more bulge than the gas one. Its really hard to describe. I saw a pic somewhere but I can't remember which web site.

Back