oatmeal stout not fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sipNswirl

Reaction score
Hi there, last night we brewed an oatmeal stout (i got the recipe from this site but for some reason can't find it right now).

I know i started with 7lbs of amber LME, and there were 1.75 lbs of specialty grains including the 0.5 lbs of quick oats. i steeped the grains in 4 q at 160*. As far as i can tell everything went really well with the boil. we transfered the wort to the primary after we cooled it, topped up with water and took the OG...1.074 @ 70*. while everything was boiling away the liquid yeast packet was swelling up, so i know the yeasties were working when i pitched them into the primary at about 10 pm. I was expecting a huge explosion so i attached a blow-off tube to be safe....this morning there is still no activity.

I called the LHBS to see what could be the problem and he said firstly: i must have read the OG wrong because it's impossible to be so high. and secondly: if the yeast was working when i pitched it, and temp was ok (which is was) there should be no problem. He doesn't seem to think that a starter was necessary, but i've read here that for a beer with so many.

the last beer i made with a high OG was an IPA that started with 10 lbs of extract and it barfed all over my floor over night (using coopers dry). so i don't know what to do now. I've read here that liquid yeast can take a while to get started and not to worry. how long should i realistically wait before dumping a pack of dry yeast in to get things going?? or should i try something else before that?

I'm gonna keep searching for this recipe and post it as an edit cuz that will probably help :)

Edit*
7lbs Pale LME
.5 - oats
.5 - chocolate
.5 - crystal
.25 - roasted barley

2oz - EKG

wyeast 1056 (LHBS ran out of 1084)

My friend, sometimes it takes 18 hours or so to see fermentation. What is the temperature?

I think you will be fine and the blow off tube is a good idea for all your brews.

temp is about 66-ish. i know it can take a while but it still seems slow to me and i don't want it to go bad before the yeast take over.

sipNswirl said:
temp is about 66-ish. i know it can take a while but it still seems slow to me and i don't want it to go bad before the yeast take over.
It's trying to be patient.:) The yeast are going through a growth phase and when they attain it you will begin to see action. Your temps are fine and it won't go bad if all is sealed tightly.

Don't worry yet I've had beers take a day and a half to start and that was with a starter if you wake Sunday to no action I would be surprised!

ahhh, lots of activity now. thanks all. i now pledge to take a few deep breathes before posting a thread :)

sipNswirl said:
ahhh, lots of activity now. thanks all. i now pledge to take a few deep breathes before posting a thread :)
I was wondering this morning if it began fermenting. You keep learning with each brew.

Congrats on fermentation starting. There are tons of threads here that talk about this type of thing and they usually all get the same reply.... WAIT!!! The best thing you can do is RDWHAHB, or if you don't have any HB, RDWHASBB (store bought brew).

Hope your beer turns out well, oatmeal stouts are mighty tasty.

Back