Warrior/Liberty Coffee Oatmeal Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
Making a 6.2% ABV coffee oatmeal stout. Considered changing my hop schedule from Mt Hood/Liberty to Warrior/Liberty for 47 IBU's.

1 oz Warrior (16%) @ 60 mins
1 oz Liberty (4.9%) @ 20 mins

Any reason why this wouldn't work well?

Changing your bittering hop will not affect the flavor of your beer, if that's what you mean. Warrior is a great bittering hop due to its high AA%.

When substituting, just make sure you account for the higher AA% (and therefore higher IBU generated) by adjusting the amount used.

I used .5oz warrior in my robust porter with 1oz fuggle @ 20 & 1oz Wakatu @ 15 minutes left for IBU of 32.7 according to BS2.

I didn't figure it would, but I've never used Warrior before. It states it has a neutral flavor when used for bittering.

I figure there has to be some sort of noticeable difference between the various hops when used at 60 mins though.

I think it is rather neutral for bittering from using it to bitter my IPA's. It adds nicely to the flavor hops though.

Wakatu. Never heard of it. What are the characteristics and where is it from?

I'm considering dropping the flavoring addition and just getting the 40 IBU's from the 60 min Warrior addition.

How about if I were to boil it for 75 or even 90 mins? Wouldn't that reduce the flavor you'd get?

Wakatu. Never heard of it. What are the characteristics and where is it from?

I'm considering dropping the flavoring addition and just getting the 40 IBU's from the 60 min Warrior addition.

Wakatu is from New Zealand. It's less spicy than Haulertauer mittelfruh with floral & lime/tropical aroma & flavor.6.5-8.8AA%,so it's multi purpose.

Make sure the Liberty is fresh. They have a "very poor" rating in the storage department from Stan Hieronymus' book.

I forgot to label the one I planned on using. The oldest one I have is from May, though there's no way for me to know just when it was harvested.

Some of my hops were purchased back in last November. I'm trying to use up the older ones first.

I've decided to take the advice of several and ditch the Warrior for bettering. I'm having to use 3 oz of Liberty to bring up the IBU's for about what I was looking for (~50).

rodwha said:
I've decided to take the advice of several and ditch the Warrior for bettering. I'm having to use 3 oz of Liberty to bring up the IBU's for about what I was looking for (~50).

Totally your choice, but why? The advice on here has been to use warrior! I use warrior to bitter all of my higher abv beers. Order a pound at a time. I love it.

I def like the bittering I've gotten from warrior best of all so far,& I only use about.3oz of it in 5 gallons for an IPA.

I changed it only because between this and another forum I had a fair number of responses claiming it was more than might be wanted. Inexperience for the most part, and "fearful" of having to give it extra time to meld/mellow.

I didn't really want to as I saw it as a waste of hops. Why not use a high AA hop for bittering???

Back