My single tier BCS-460 Electric Brewrig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutchb

Reaction score
Well its took a bit longer than expected but I'd say its pretty much done. I've brewed about a dozen or so batches on this and I finally got the majority of the bugs worked out. The BCS was a bit of a challenge to learn its nature, but im pretty happy with it now. I run the whole system off an Android tablet as well.
I built it all from lumber I had laying around the house from various projects, and used some left over laminate flooring for the top of it.

My main concern was that I wanted to hide as much as possible, so I bolted the pump underneath the boil kettle and ran the in/out quick-disconnects on the front of the rig. The brain of the whole operation is all located in the box that hang's down underneath the mash tun in a removable electric panel. (The hole cut in the back is for the 220v plug) I also wanted to have the option of removing/unplugging everything so, that was a important factor for me in the build. All the kettles can be unplugged/removed along with the brain/computer. I even made the Plate chiller easily removable as well. (best money I have ever spent was on a plate chiller)

The whole system is powered by my welder plug so its all a 220v system. Using 5500w elements in both HLT & BK.
The majority of everything you see was purchased through,
bargainfittings.com
brewershardware.com
brewhardware.com
ebrewsupply.com

A big thanks to theelectricbrewery.com for all the info and the forums on this site as well. Couldn't have done it without those 2!

DB (7).jpg

DB (9).jpg

DB (8).jpg

DB (5).jpg

DB (1).jpg

Have we learned nothing from Battlestar Galactica?

When the cylons take over your brew day, I'll still be chugging along with my non-networked brew setup.

But seriously...I don't think I'd ever try running a brew day from a computer, because they tend to screw things up.

Yes, I have a computer-related degree. Why do you ask?

Putting my biases aside, though...really sweet build, man!

Yeah I hear ya on that one. Looking back on the build, I probably would have incorporated some manual switches to be able to directly control the whole set up. Im not crazy about relying on my network/computer for brewing. I've got some ideas for "manual" mode in the future. But im pretty happy with how it all works so far.
I do like how I can leave the rig out in the garage and monitor temps/activity from any computer in the house though,(house and garage are separated) there are some perks to it!

LandoLincoln said:
Have we learned nothing from Battlestar Galactica?

When the cylons take over your brew day, I'll still be chugging along with my non-networked brew setup.

But seriously...I don't think I'd ever try running a brew day from a computer, because they tend to screw things up.

But damn, some of those cylons were fracking HOT! Are you telling me you wouldn't want a number six making your next batch for you? :)

But anyway, very nice. I'm looking to go the RaspberryPi route and use my iPhone or iPad with web based controls but I would also like manual mode because I'm raelly just starting out.

Great setup. I like the clean build of your control cabinet. Don't personally see much need for manual control except for being able to manually switch off elements and pumps if necessary.

How about some details about the cabling for the temperature probes? That's one area that my system needs quite a bit of improvement on.

Great system.

I am looking to do the same thing, and wanted to know where you got your temperature probes? I am going to be going with the BCS-460, and just wanted to know what adapters/temperature probes are needed?

Scotprice,
Thanks for the kind words, I purchased my probes through brewershardware.com. Different sizes are available for different applications, but they have good selection to choose from. I really like dealing with these guys to, easy to talk to if you have any questions and very helpful.

These are the ones I bought

Scotprice,
Thanks for the kind words, I purchased my probes through brewershardware.com. Different sizes are available for different applications, but they have good selection to choose from. I really like dealing with these guys to, easy to talk to if you have any questions and very helpful.

These are the ones I bought

Me too. Great to deal with.

Thanks for the information.

I thought I was going to go bcs, but now I keep alternating between PID/BCS......tough choices.

Will BCS work with PID's?

Thinking of doing the following:
Phase 1 PID with BCS temp probes
Phase 2 PID with BCS - 460

Will BCS work with PID's?

Thinking of doing the following:
Phase 1 PID with BCS temp probes
Phase 2 PID with BCS - 460

There are 6 built in PID's in the BCS-460, one for each output. The only drawback to them is that you must manually tune them, there is no auto-tune function available.

There are 6 built in PID's in the BCS-460, one for each output. The only drawback to them is that you must manually tune them, there is no auto-tune function available.

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it. I only have more questions now. :confused:

I'm wondering if your alarms work with your tablet? I have an ipad and and was thinking about building a manual system and a detachable tablet that I can take indoors during the hot summer months as well a look up for on the fly calcuations. Unfortunately, the alarm is not heard through the ipad. I can see the Alarm button activate, but no sound.

Can you tell me if Android is different than iPad?

Thanks

That's a sweet set up. I like how your hiding all the wires. I need to start thinking bout that.

I also have the hybrid using a PID and bcs question. I had some time to think and read this weekend with the flood and all the Fort Collins breweries closed. i also consulted a EE, my dad, about the wiring. Basically with a hybrid set up as I understand it you have 2 options.
1. 3-way switch selecting bcs - off - PID. The issue with this is there isn't a turn the element on ability so you'll have to rely on your controls. But how often do you have to rely on a hard turn on?
2. 4-way selector switch which would add a on the the above configuration. The price is about 25 to 30 so these are 2 to 3 times more expensive than a 3-way.

I am still thinking about what I will do with my setup but that is the answer I found.

Thanks ReuFroman,
I do have one complaint though on the hiding of my wiring which I did not throughly think through when I built it. When I ran the plugs from the back of the BK and the HLT, through the counter-top of the brew rig, I did not take into effect a boil over. The holes that the wires go through act as really nice drains, which of course, is located right over the brain/electronics compartment. Granted, I've long since figured my system out and havent had a boil over since my first 2 batches and nothing ever actually made it INTO the compartment, but it was a little to close for comfort. I now have the BK, plug just going through the back side of the compartment, and the hole that the plug use to go through is plugged with a towel, juuuuuuust in case.

I know I originally posed that I wish I had manual controls, but now that I have figured my system out and I am a lot more comfortable using it, I have no need for manual controls, im completely content running it all of my network. Runs and works great every time.

Thanks for the tips on the inadvertent drain holes.

I'm really trying too think through the whole manual auto side. 95% thinking no manual on for the system.

Did you use weldless fittings on your elements? I've been thinking about electrifying my HLT. Any leaking problems?

atoughram said:
Did you use weldless fittings on your elements? I've been thinking about electrifying my HLT. Any leaking problems?

Not as of yet. But I haven't brewed yet just put water in the, I have silicon o-rings. They seem to do the trick real well. As soon as I brew I'll report back.

I also used weldless fittings, (for everything) and i dont have any leaks, nor have i had any.

dutchb said:
I also used weldless fittings, (for everything) and i dont have any leaks, nor have i had any.

I had weldless since I started, I pulled one apart and quickly found out why welded are better. I would change out o-rings about every 10 batches. They are nasty.

Back