Do you collect wort before you sparge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
All the programs which calculate temps seem to do so as if you haven't collected any wort before you mash out.

I usually collect wort w/o any issue.

Just curious what you do.

If I mash out, I do so before collecting any wort. That said, often times I skip the mash out, or I'll use my sparge as the mash out and try to get it as close to 170° without going over, in which case I will have already drained my first runnings.

I never really gave it much thought until I missed big time on my sparge temps. I may just mash out (my partial mashes) and skip sparging now.

I drain add 182 degree sparge water stir vorlauf add second batch sparge and viola I'm done. When the first runnings are pulled they are put over a flame immediatly to speed up the process

I drain add 182 degree sparge water stir vorlauf add second batch sparge and viola I'm done. When the first runnings are pulled they are put over a flame immediatly to speed up the process

I drained, added 183°F and I hit 166°F. Hence the question.

sounds like you're doing a good job. I have been gettin 71% efficiency and I hit it every time. I was looking at ways to improve it but since it is consistant I'm just going to leave it alone

I never mash out.
I drain and get my wort on the heat.
Then I batch sparge, usually spreading it over 2 batches.
I get ~75% efficiency.

Would i get higher with a mash out?

Back