Hows this for a Belgian Pale ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheschire

Reaction score
after completing my all grain setup and having very successful brews, Im working on brewing every style in the books. How does this recipe look for a Belgian Pale Ale?

6lbs Pilsner 2-row
3lbs Vienna
2lbs Munich
1lb Aromatic
1oz Goldings 5% @60 mins
.5oz fuggles 4.5% @ 30 mins
.5oz Fuggles 4.5% @ 10 mins
.5oz Goldings 5% @ 5 mins

Wyeast Belgian Ale #1214

open to all comments and ideas

hmmmm. apparently I need to do a little more reading on belgians... care to share some knowledge?

DMS is the sulfer flavor you get from boiling with the lid on, right?

DMS gives rise to the "cooked corn" aroma. Its precursors are fewer the more "roasted" a grain is. Pilsen grade malt is less roasted than 2-Row and most people would suggest a 90 minute rather than a 60 min boil for this grain if you want to eliminate DMS. You can still add hops as per your schedule - just start adding 30 minutes into the 90 min boil.

That is a lot of Vienna-Munich-aromatic.

It is your beer, and make what you like- but I usually see those at max of ~20% for some texture. You have them at 50%. I think it could be too heavy and sweet.

Personally I think you would be better off ditching the vienna, munich, and aromatics entirelly, increasing your pilsner malt, and then add color and body with caravienne and/or caramunich.

The hops look good. :rockin:

If you can get it, I think Wyeast 3522 is a much better yeast for this style.

And yeah, you will definitely need a 90 minute boil with this one.

Back