Will 'The Cure for Your Short Hose Problem' work on a Nitro setup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastricky

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Posted on the other thread but didn't hear on it, so thought I'd inquire this way... any thoughts? At the moment I get nothing but foam from my nitro setup - I think it's supposed to give some liquid and a lot of foam, no? I've got to wait for all the foam to clear to get any liquid. I could be misinformed of course on how it's supposed to work tho', and maybe this is normal? What day is today??? :drunk:

oh wow, um.....well getting to the foam.......its either over carbed, or your tap pressure is too high. the other issue, cant help.

I've got to wait for all the foam to clear to get any liquid.
It sounds to me like you are getting foam forming in the beer lines. If you pour a second beer right away does it give you too much foam too? If no beer has been poured for a while it is not unusual for some CO2 to come out of solution as it sits in the lines. Beer lines are flexible and the pressure in the lines will make the tubing expand a little, and pockets of CO2 will form. The longer the line and the higher the pressure, the more this will be a problem. Also the thinner the wall of the tubing, the bigger the problem this would be - that's why good beer line is pretty thick walled.

If this is indeed the case, then the keg inserts won't do anything to help this problem, except to maybe allow you to use a shorter beer line

Everything is as it should be and the problem occurs beer after beer... It's probably carbed too high - I went 2.2 vol and probably should have kept it at 1.5... Can I just bleed off some pressure and let 'er rip?

If it is over carbed, I find the best thing is to di isdisconnect the gas in, bleed the gas off and let it sit over night before hooking the gas back up. If it is way overcarbed you might need to do this several days in a row.

If you simply bleed it off, but leave the gas on (at a lower pressure) the carbonation will only drop a little bit as the head space will be quickly re-equilbrate.

Back