Too early?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cladinshadows

Reaction score
I have a cream ale (OG = 1.043) that's been going for 8 days now. The gravity has been steady at 1.008 for a two days. I have time this afternoon to bottle and I may not have time in the next few weeks... should I just go ahead and prime and bottle or is it too early? My thinking is that it probably won't hurt because the flavor is so light anyway that it's not going to benefit greatly from conditioning in the carboy much longer anyway. What do you think?

I'd probably leave it longer, rather than bottling it today. Sure, it's done, but you probably have quite a bit of "stuff" to still settle out. Anything that isn't settled out before you bottle will fall to the bottom in the bottle. Not a big deal to some, but I like a minimum of sediment in my bottles. Cream ales are a nice summer drink, and I enjoy them. I like them crisp and "clean" tasting, and prefer them to be clear.

Time is your friend. If you let it sit on the yeast cake for another couple weeks you'll be much happier than if you bottle this early. The yeast will clean up after themselves and reduce off flavors you might get otherwise.

I'd say wait. If you bottle in two weeks, you can reduce the time in the bottle before consumption.

Back