thoughts on first AG IPA recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluestreakm3

Reaction score
started with a sierra nevada ipa clone and after tweaking, this is what i have.......

10lbs pale malt (2 row)
10 oz cara-pils
10 oz crystal 40
8 oz amber malt
.4 oz nugget (60)
.4 oz simcoe (60)
.6 oz pearle (60)
.9 oz cascade (30)
4 oz cascade after boil for 10 min
.25 oz simcoe (dry)
.5 oz cascade (dry)

mash at 154 for 60 min.

beersmith gives this
OG - 1.059
8 SRM
66.8 IBU

my questions:
- the base recipe is for a 60 min boil and i've been told to always boil AG worts for 90 min, should i adjust the hop additions?
- the base recipe says to sparge at 190 deg and beersmith says 168, which would be better?
- WLP 1, 8 or 51?

this will be our second AG batch and we are brewing it for a competition. (just to get some educated feedback) any and all help is much appreciated!!!

- the base recipe says to sparge at 190 deg and beersmith says 168, which would be better?

Kinda both ;)

have your sparge water arounf 190 and it should bring your grain bed up to ~168.

your hop schedule is a lot more complex than anything I've done -- I like the KISS approach for IPAs....

Kinda both ;)

have your sparge water arounf 190 and it should bring your grain bed up to ~168.

makes so much sense! not sure how i missed it originally. can beersmith calculate different sparge temps and volumes for a fly sparge? is there another way to calculate?

Looks like a good recipe. I would personally add another pound of 2-row just to get the OG up a bit and the ABV over 6%. I just like my IPAs to be between 6-6.5 ABV without being too dry.

i added 2lbs. brought the estimated OG up to 1.069. just got our keggle set up so i bumped it up to a 10gal batch. we're gonna split the it and probably pitch wlp 001 and 008.

Back