Help On CO2 source

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Foley

Reaction score
I have been buying CO2 from the same welding supply place for about a year. They only charge $4-$5 and refill while I wait. Today they said that they can no longer let me take a full CO2 tank unless I have an open truck? I cannot even pick it up in a truck with a shell! Anyone else have this problem? I don't have a truck, so this sucks. The only other option in town that I am aware of want to charge $30+ for an exchange.

It's probably some insurance issue, unique to their business. Park down the street, and tell them you're on foot.

Actually, if it merely needs to be transported in the open I thought mayble I would go by on my motorcycle. :mug:

I don't know if this has much relevance, but when I get my co2 tank refilled they give me some kind of transportation documentation. I can't really remember what exactly it says, but I think it has something to do with private transportation of a compressed gas/liquid. I don't know if this place could just fill out a similar piece of paper.

Give the refilling guy 5 dollars - you're paying less than HALF of what I pay.

Befriend someone there. I know it sounds like kiss ass, but if you have to buy a truck to get your cylinders refilled, it will take forever to average down your cost.

See if you have a place that services fire extinguishers in town. The local one is my cheapest bet for CO2 and they might not have the same restriction.

never heard of having to transport in an open bed truck. my fire service just tells me not to put it in the passenger compartment of whatever vehicle i'm driving

Mine gets strapped into my daughter's Recaro car seat....little five point harness cinched tight and its good to go.

-Todd

My place has signs all over the place advising against transporting it in a car, but they will still let you have it. I like the 'walk-in' idea listed above :D

problem solved. Found a new gas guy. Downside is that he only exchanges. So I had to turn in my bright shiny 5lb. tank. But on the upside, he was out of 5lb tanks and gave me a 25lb in exchange and only $20 for the gas. That'll work.

problem solved. Found a new gas guy. Downside is that he only exchanges. So I had to turn in my bright shiny 5lb. tank. But on the upside, he was out of 5lb tanks and gave me a 25lb in exchange and only $20 for the gas. That'll work.

Yep, that would work just fine.

Back