Too long on the yeast cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sea

Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I racked to secondary today an AG IPA that due to the business of life and general lazyness, sat in the primary for 1 month. It tasted funny, and my first reaction was Oh S*#t, contamination!! When I got to thinking about it though, I realized I've never left a beer in the primary for more than 2 weeks. Since the flavour wasn't one I'd ever experienced, and certainly wasn't "bad," I'm wondering if the time factor could have something to do with it? I think this was a dry ale yeast.

Has anyone ever had an experience with this?

Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew. It's way to early to know if your final beer is going to be good. Give it some time in secondary, and then let it bottle condition or condition in a keg. I've had plenty of beers that tasted sad out of the primary but turned out alright in the end.

I routinely leave batches in the fermenter for 3-4 weeks. Sounds like some dry hopping might be good. Maybe it's just dried out more than you are used to.

Autolysis = sewer gas, so that isn't what you are tasting.

How many IBUs were there? It's probably just green and needs some time for the hops to mellow a bit more.

Thanks for the replies.

No, it's not Autolysis, and I know it's still very green, but I brew a lot of IPAs, and this is a variation of a recipe I've done several times before, so that's why this strange flavor really threw me off. Since the flavor was somewhat yeasty/grainy (though not distinctly) I wondered if the extra time on the yeast cake might be a contributor.

Some time back I made a Weizen then had a heart attack. I couldn't lift the primary bucket for a couple of weeks.

I racked it at 34 days. It won Best of Show and Best of Style beating out over 100 beers. :rockin: :ban:

I wouldn't worry about it too much. :D

Back