Roasted Barley Suggestions for Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jescholler

Reaction score
I'll be making a vanilla oatmeal stout and I'm trying to nail down the roasted barley. I know roasted barley can vary greatly based on the "maltster", so I'm just wondering if any has any experience with the following:

Weyermann Roasted Barley (375-450L)
Hugh Baird Roasted Barley (500-600L)
Briess Black Roasted Barley (500L)

My initial plan was to use the Briess, but I can't get it locally and I'm not sure the shipping is worth it. I think my next choice would be the Baird, but I don't want it to be too acrid. I'm not sure the Weyermann will be roasty enough. I've also tossed around the idea of doing a blend of Weyermann and Baird.

If it was me, I'd use around 8 ounces of the Weyermann RB, and the 10 ounces of either chocolate malt or Carafa II

Bairds does have a rather 'ashy' type of flavor, more like a black patent than RB. Never used Wyermann, but it looks good. I've never been impressed with any of breiss' specialty malts, most are 6-row and bland tasting compared to the other maltsters.

You could try a mix of the bairds and wyermann, or just go with a mix of RB and chocolate malts.

I am planning on a mix (8% RB and 4% chocolate) and I thought I had the chocolate picked out (Briess Dark Chocolate, 420L). Your comment about Biress has me second guessing though. I have heard that about Briess before, but it slipped my memory. I guess I'll open the thread up to chocolate suggestions. If there is a maltster you would recommend that I didn't list, I'd be interested in that too.

For roasted barley, I use mostly Muntons and Simpsons for stouts and Thomas Fawcett for a small % in porters. The TF roast barley has a rather strong smokey flavor, which can be nice in certain styles. As for chocolate malt, Thomas Fawcett (330L) is my favorite and I use that and their pale chocolate (200L) for everything. I'll often blend them with the roast barley, although in a beer with lots of specialty malts, its hard to tell the difference.

Breiss' roasted malts are ok and they have both 6 and 2 row varieties. Their crystal malts are rather grainy and bland for my taste. For crystal malts, it is hard to beat Simpsons and Thomas Fawcett. Cheers.

Back