Fruit Beer Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keg my beers...when I bottle I always do three weeks, so you might do 2 weeks fermentation and 3 weeks bottling versus the 3/3 that I do for the extra conditioning!

Finally got the brew done and everything cleaned up. Ended up finishing up a little later than I wanted, but its ok. I did end up with about .75 gallon more than I expected. I have been questioning whether my refractometer has been reading correctly because it gave me an OG of 1.061 even though I had extra wort. So.... I'm a little confused, but I'm not loosing any sleep over it. Hahaha

Thanks again for the great recipe and I will update once everything gets done!

Bottled mine the other day.

I always drink the 1/2 bottle that I seem to have at the end. It had great flavor, but the lemon/lime flavor was almost undetectable. Anyone else notice this prior to carbonation? I am hoping that it is more present once carbed and chilled.

I am going to try this out in an initial trial for my summer drink. I just happened to randomly throw in some Motueka to my order the other day and have some Sorachi sitting around. Perfect fit. Also glad to use this yeast for the first time and then wash it for a Hefe I want to do later.

The only ingredients I have access to in Fairbanks are the grains. I've got to order the hops so I've got to do some tweaking for my Christmas day brew.

Juice Hunt: I've been to 2 commissaries, 2 Fred Meyer's, 3 Safeways, and one (gasp!) Super Walmart and found no Simply Limeade. They all have Simply Lemon, Simply Grapefruit, Simply Apple and Simply Lemonade with Raspberry so I'm gonna have to stray from the original recipe.

Methinks I will just use the grain bill but since I don't have the hops or the juice, just sub those (I know there's no direct sub) and use the Raspberry Lemonade for my first batch. I'll make the original when I get the hops and find the Limeade (maybe anchorage).....

Any one try any of the other "Simply" juices in this yet?

The only ingredients I have access to in Fairbanks are the grains. I've got to order the hops so I've got to do some tweaking for my Christmas day brew.

Juice Hunt: I've been to 2 commissaries, 2 Fred Meyer's, 3 Safeways, and one (gasp!) Super Walmart and found no Simply Limeade. They all have Simply Lemon, Simply Grapefruit, Simply Apple and Simply Lemonade with Raspberry so I'm gonna have to stray from the original recipe.

Methinks I will just use the grain bill but since I don't have the hops or the juice, just sub those (I know there's no direct sub) and use the Raspberry Lemonade for my first batch. I'll make the original when I get the hops and find the Limeade (maybe anchorage).....

Any one try any of the other "Simply" juices in this yet?

I bought a bottle of simply lime yesterday for this brew and between me unloading it in the car and getting the mail my wife had drank half of it. So we gave up on that and I had a glass myself. If you are looking for a replacement, I can say, Simply Lime is extremely powerful and very limey. Can you find a can of limeade concentrate in the freezer section?

Oh, also, I think the OP said his friends did Simply Grapefruit and it was delicious.

You can't go wrong with any of Simply product line....I would caution on the frozen concentrate as most of them are inferior to the Simply line.

Alrighty- weatherman predicts a high of -8 tomorrow. Where I'm at in the hills we're routinely 10-15 degrees warmer so I'm brewing tomorrow. It's very tough to boil 6-7 gallons of liquid outside at anything below zero which is why I haven't brewed this, yet.

I have to deviate from the original recipe because I haven't found a hopseller with decent shipping to Alaska. Cheapest I've found for 2 oz ea of the Moteuka and the Sorachi is cost + $22 in shipping, that's right at $34 bucks for 4 oz of hops, ouch!! I've phoned about the flat-rate boxes but was told by three different sources that they use Fed-Ex, exclusively. What's up with that? I was talking to my dad who said I should have my order sent to him (free shipping) and then he will send them up in a flat rate box or priority envelope. DOH!!! I wish I would have thought about that two weeks ago!

To make the most of this break in the weather, I will be brewing two 5 gal batches (I don't have the capacity to brew 10gal).

One batch will be with the limeade and one will be with the grapefruit.

For hops I'll be using Hallertau, maybe add a dash of Cascades. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

I do realize it won't be the same without the Moteuka and Sorachi but I've got to take advantage of mother nature while I can. I will keep y'all posted on how it turns out. Thanks again for the recipe and I look forward to enjoying it.

I'm wanting to brew this soon. Keep me posted. especially interested in how the different hops work with this.

Looks Awesome! I think I will do this for my second ever AG batch, but I have a few questions.

My LHBS had the Sorachi hopps but not the other. He suggested just using the Sorachi all the way though. Anyone els do this?

Also he said that 6 gallons seems a little much to reach the OG. He suggested boiling down 6 gallons to 5 gallons. This sounds odd to me. If 6 gallons is the volume after the boil what is the volume before the boil? Does a program give you this or how do you find the pre boil volume?

Thanks! and sorry for the stupid questions!

In a pinch you can just use Sorachi...but keep in mind it will be good recipe/beer at this point....the combination of hops in my original post balanced out to keep acid levels down to this style of beer...so go ahead and try it, but try it both hops another time and tell us which way you like the best.
In regards to reducing down to a 5 gallon batch, you can but again it will alter the flavor profile.

Great i will stick with that! What would the pre boil volume be?

Thanks!!

Quick question I'll be Testing this out this weekend?

Why mash at 158? That seems high...is it because the yeast will go crazy with the addition of the limeade?

daveooph131 said:
Quick question I'll be Testing this out this weekend?

Why mash at 158? That seems high...is it because the yeast will go crazy with the addition of the limeade?

I mash at 158 for these types of beers with my equipment...feel free to adjust you mash temp to a profile/number you get results with!

Just finished the brew session on this excited to see how this turns out. what was OG supposed to be?

daveooph131 said:
Just finished the brew session on this excited to see how this turns out. what was OG supposed to be?

Sorry I'm traveling, so I don't have my notes on me...how was the aroma during brewing? If you took pictures please post them!

No pics sorry about that.

Aroma was awesome lots of lemon citrus lime notes. My wife thought it smelt like fruity pebbles.

Just checked the fermenter and I already have signs of kressen.

For the record I maskers 152 and only used sorachi Ace. I couldn't find the other hop easily.

So should I add the limeade tomorrow or would you wait two or three days?

daveooph131 said:
No pics sorry about that.

Aroma was awesome lots of lemon citrus lime notes. My wife thought it smelt like fruity pebbles.

Just checked the fermenter and I already have signs of kressen.

For the record I maskers 152 and only used sorachi Ace. I couldn't find the other hop easily.

So should I add the limeade tomorrow or would you wait two or three days?

I would wait...the sugar in that limeade can be explosive, so wait 2 or 3 days and you shouldn't have any explosive issues. I hope you enjoy it!

I just zested 10 small limes and I only got .85 oz. I'll pick up two more in the morning so I can have the whole oz. needed for a double batch.

I was trying to figure out what to do with all the limes so I made my own limeade!!! I used 1.5C of corn sugar to a gallon of lime juice/water/lime rhine. I'm gonna compare SG and flavor with the Simply Limeade. I'll probably end up doin a batch with the simply and a batch with the home made. It's supposed to be extremely warm (0-15 above zero) so I'm planning double brew day tomorrow.....

image-2449047203.jpg

Skagdog said:
I just zested 10 small limes and I only got .85 oz. I'll pick up two more in the morning so I can have the whole oz. needed for a double batch.

I was trying to figure out what to do with all the limes so I made my own limeade!!! I used 1.5C of corn sugar to a gallon of lime juice/water/lime rhine. I'm gonna compare SG and flavor with the Simply Limeade. I'll probably end up doin a batch with the simply and a batch with the home made. It's supposed to be extremely warm (0-15 above zero) so I'm planning double brew day tomorrow.....

And to think...I was complaining it was 50 and raining in Dallas! Good luck on your double batch, any day brewing is a good day...even in 0-15 above zero weather!

Just wanted to update everyone on my batch... It turned out great! I had a little mishap with the priming sugar because the carboy I used was not marked and I underestimated how much was in there. Oops! It ended up carbing up great after 4+ weeks and the lime flavor was perfect. Not too strong, but nicely noticeable. The person I brewed this for is hoping for a continuous supply. Hahaa

I've got mine fermenting right now. Hasn't been very active which is odd but im sure it will turn out great. Can't wait!

Alrighty! We had a chinook blow in so I did a double brew day. Yeast is pitched so now I have about 24 hours to decide what to do with both. One will be simply limeade, the other will be.......

1) simply grapefruit
2) leave it alone
3) simply raspberry lemonade

What do you think?

BTW, I'm stopping by Lowe's for more blow-off tube which I will rig up in about 3 hours when my kids get home from school.

image-3429968176.jpg

Skagdog said:
Alrighty! We had a chinook blow in so I did a double brew day. Yeast is pitched so now I have about 24 hours to decide what to do with both. One will be simply limeade, the other will be.......

1) simply grapefruit
2) leave it alone
3) simply raspberry lemonade

What do you think?

BTW, I'm stopping by Lowe's for more blow-off tube which I will rig up in about 3 hours when my kids get home from school.

The grapefruit will fit the flavor profile nicely, but I don't see strawberry lemonade being a bad choice either...so good luck, I hope they both turn out well!

I did a 900mL starter for this and am a little worry there is not enough yeast in there. What did everyone else do as far as starters and volumes?

I did a 900mL starter for this and am a little worry there is not enough yeast in there. What did everyone else do as far as starters and volumes?

I pitched one pack of dry Safale 06 WB in each of my 6 gal ferms. It was bubblin' at 4 hours and got "aggressive" while I was at work today. I'm glad I rigged up tubes for my twins. I'll post a pic in a few when I get back from the store.

Poured the Simply Lime in one and the Simply Grapefruit in the other. I have to say that's a neat smell coming straight from the fermenter;

On a separate note, though also on the subject of smells, I can definitely confirm the Fruity Pebbles' smell during brew day. Lookin' forward to enjoying the fruits of my labors based on slim's recipe!

Just tasted the lemon lime and it is great, I have another batch going now that i'm going to use some organic tangerine juice in.

wilfonzo said:
Just tasted the lemon lime and it is great, I have another batch going now that i'm going to use some organic tangerine juice in.

That sounds interesting...post pictures if you can!

I just brewed a version of this beer today... From past experiences I decided to. Hangs it up a little. I like grapefruit better myself so i changed this to suit my style better. Not only did I change the limeade with simply grapefruit I also changed the hops around. I want to enhance the grapefruit note so I replaced the main hops with cascades and bumped it up to an oz at boil.

With the Sorachi ace I started to hop @ 30 min with .25 oz and continued to hop with an additional .75 oz over the remaining 30 minutes every few minutes to build the aroma and add to the overall IBU. Then before chilling I ran my wort through 2oz of Sorachi ace with a hop infuser.

I will add the juice to the fermenter in a few days and allow to stay in primary for an additional 10 day then it will be racked over and given 3 weeks.

This is a beer I have done a few different times now and have found these changes to add a complexity to the overall beer and yet still making it very enjoyable to drink! First thing you notice is the intense lemony-dill aroma from the Sorachi Ace as you take a sip the grapefruit starts to emerge and flirts with your pallet but disappears quickly and opens up the cascades natural fruit notes with just the right amount of bitterness. This is a beer I keep on hand and enjoy very much! Hope this helps enjoy

Mammal_brew said:
I just brewed a version of this beer today... From past experiences I decided to. Hangs it up a little. I like grapefruit better myself so i changed this to suit my style better. Not only did I change the limeade with simply grapefruit I also changed the hops around. I want to enhance the grapefruit note so I replaced the main hops with cascades and bumped it up to an oz at boil.

With the Sorachi ace I started to hop @ 30 min with .25 oz and continued to hop with an additional .75 oz over the remaining 30 minutes every few minutes to build the aroma and add to the overall IBU. Then before chilling I ran my wort through 2oz of Sorachi ace with a hop infuser.

I will add the juice to the fermenter in a few days and allow to stay in primary for an additional 10 day then it will be racked over and given 3 weeks.

This is a beer I have done a few different times now and have found these changes to add a complexity to the overall beer and yet still making it very enjoyable to drink! First thing you notice is the intense lemony-dill aroma from the Sorachi Ace as you take a sip the grapefruit starts to emerge and flirts with your pallet but disappears quickly and opens up the cascades natural fruit notes with just the right amount of bitterness. This is a beer I keep on hand and enjoy very much! Hope this helps enjoy

Interesting spin....I tried cascade (because it has a hint of grapefruit to it), but my experiments with it never turned out...so I always deferred back to Moteuka and Sorachi. I'm glad it worked out for you...please post pictures if you can!

Just put mine into the carboy. I was at 1.054 as expected. Lovely smells. Took 3 limes to get enough of the peel to throw in the boil. Original hops and yeast. Looking forward to this one.

theveganbrewer said:
Just put mine into the carboy. I was at 1.054 as expected. Lovely smells. Took 3 limes to get enough of the peel to throw in the boil. Original hops and yeast. Looking forward to this one.

I think your gonna love it...but keep us updated as to how it turns out!

Just kegged my one gallon test batch. Used all sorachi ace as that was all I could get at my LHBS and my OG was low at 1.045.

Initialt taste is very good. The lemon lime flavor is definitely present in both the nose and the after taste.

Back