Vinegar Making

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leviticus

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience making vinegar? I have now read in several places around the internet that indicate it can be quite dangerous for a home brewer - basically, you run the risk of contaminating your entire brewery indefinitely with the acetobactor? My intention is to use a store bought (HBS) liquid mother - I do NOT want to use a powder mother.

If it's as simple as 'don't let the two system touch' (a vinegar system consisting of a single ongoing crock) then I'm not as concerned. Any tips or advice from anyone in getting started, maintaining separate brewing and vinegar setups?

I have an interest in making red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar, and malt vinegar (from beer). Right now, I'm thinking of keeping 'ongoing vinegar crocks' in glass drink dispensers (e.g. - http://www.infusionjars.com/).

Thanks for any tips/advice/warnings!

I would think you would want to keep everything seperate after the boil, as in seperate buildings/cellars, etc. The acetobacter will be and is in the air all around us, you would be concentrating it however in your building/cellar that you are using for vinegar.

Disclaimer: I have absolutely no (intentional) experience with vinegar.:mug:

You may have better luck with this question in the wine section?

Back