First attempts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amadameus

Reaction score
So I finally finished up my first batch of applejack today!

I went into the project mostly clueless, doing a little bit of research online, and using the cheapest materials possible (so that way if I found out brewing wasn't for me, I wouldn't have lost more than $5). I found out that this is awesome and going to occupy a whole lot of my time from now on!

Applejack was chosen for two reasons: one, it's cheap and easy. I wasn't looking forward to buying kits of hops, and apple juice concentrate is $1.09 at the store. Two, it can be jacked to produce something of pretty high alcohol content. Since I live in a party house (college dorm) people drink a whole lot of hard liquor. I was hoping applejack would turn out to be a cheap, easy, and high-alcohol solution. It was!

So here's what I did:
Sterilized a 1-gallon wine jug with bleach
Added 2 pounds of sugar
Added 0.75 gallons of boiling water
Added 1 can of apple juice concentrate
Sealed the jug and ran it under cold water until it cooled off
Poured in a spoonful of bread yeast (Red Star)
Shook the bejeezus out of the jug
Snapped a rubber balloon over the top
Poked a hole in the balloon with a needle
...watch excitedly

Within seconds, the yeast started bubbling and activating, which I took as a very good sign. The balloon is a replacement for a fermentation lock, which I don't have the plumbing to properly use.

After two weeks, I checked on the first jug and found the balloon had inverted itself - sucked completely into the jug! I figured this to be a sign that the yeast was done and racked the jug.
This is what it looked like mid-fermentation
The apple wine turned out to be very yeasty-flavored, something I should have expected from using bread yeast. It was still extremely sweet and had kept plenty of apple flavor.

I poured the wine into an old ice cream bucket and placed it in the freezer overnight, producing a kind of apple-slushie. Running that through a salad spinner worked wonderfully. After the first jack, the liquor was still extremely sweet and this hid the alcohol concentration very well. (I have no hygrometer, so I can only guess that the applejack is around 40 proof right now) The ice chips were also sweet and apple-flavored, and they were so tasty we put them back in the freezer for later.

First lesson:
2 pounds of sugar appears to be too much. (The second jug is still fermenting, I plan on letting it go for 4 weeks total - this will help determine how long the yeast will take and how much sugar per gallon it can metabolize before it dies in its own alcohol)

Second lesson:
Bread yeast produces bread-flavored alcohol. I've really got to go buy some winemaker's yeast...

I'm excited! These 1-gallon test runs are working wonderfully, and the next chance I get I'm going to buy some hops and try my hand at actual beer!

Man, applejack concentrates the toxins that distillers remove as "heads." I'm not sure you should be posting that here because it isn't legal, either.

Back