Critique my first recipe (too, please!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrryghst

Reaction score
For my third batch, I'm going to try my hand at putting together my own extract recipe. I think this looks pretty straight forward but I just want some kind of approval before I spend the cash. Here's what I'm going for: a porter with a high-end, smooth, full bodied, malty character. It will have mid to low-end IBU. Average alcohol content. Looking for a thick head and tiny bit of sweetness.

Here's the recipe. I used this website to help me put it together.

3 lbs Amber DME
3.3 lbs Light LME
1.5 lbs Briess Caramel 80L
8 oz British Chocolate
4 oz De-bittered black patent
--HOP SCHEDULE--
60 min 0.5 oz Horizon (10.9%)
45 min 0.5 oz Horizon
15 min 0.5 oz Liberty (4.5%)
05 min 0.5 oz Liberty
YEAST: WhiteLabs 002 English Ale Yeast.

Sounds pretty good. I have similiar( AG) recipe in the ferementer now. I think you will enjoy the beer. It will definitly be a dark beer. I would put all that into beersmith or beer calculus to make sure it is was you are shooting for.

This seems more like a brown ale to me. 1.5 lbs of C80 is too much, far far far too much, in my opinion. After backing that down by half I'd increase the patent by a few more ounces.

However, this is your recipe, so you might want to brew it and make adjustments based on how it comes out.

+1 on too much C80, esp considering the amber DME already has C60 in it. You could sub in some munich for some of the C80 to help with the maltiness.

Thanks guys. i'll do some more research before i buy the grains! hoppymonkey-- Unfortunately I don't have any beer software yet, so I was just using a free online recipe program. Let me know if there's anything out there that is free or cheap that works on a mac.

jsullivan and dcp-- I think I'll take your advice and cut down c40 by half, and bump up the black after I do a little more reading.

thanks!

Latest posts

Back