Two Thousand and Ten or Twenty Ten?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Two Thousand and Ten or Twenty Ten?

• Two Thousand and Ten

• Twenty Ten

• 53,725,892 (I'm jewish)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Twenty ten. You never heard of people talking bout the good old One Thousand Nine Hundred and Twenties. Why would this millennium be any different.

I don't think Grandpappy was born in One Thousand, Nine hundred and fifteen. Probably more like Nineteen fifteen :D

If you want to be technical, the number should be "two thousand ten"; there should be no "and" in there.

That said, I do my best not to say the year unless absolutely necessary. I've been doing this since 2000, when most people decided that they needed to prepend "the year" to it. If I had to say it, I'd say "two thousand ten".

If you want to be technical, the number should be "two thousand ten"; there should be no "and" in there.

That said, I do my best not to say the year unless absolutely necessary. I've been doing this since 2000, when most people decided that they needed to prepend "the year" to it. If I had to say it, I'd say "two thousand ten".

You are American, I'm English. You have the right to speak American English, I have the right to speak English English (As the Flying Spaghetti Monster intended) Please don't drag this to the debate forum! ;)

You are American, I'm English. You have the right to speak American English, I have the right to speak English English (As the Flying Spaghetti Monster intended) Please don't drag this to the debate forum! ;)

You're an American now, damnit! Speak American!!! (Damn pinko commie subversive)

:D

I say include The Haggis. I also want an option added for "The Eleventh Year of the Third Millenium of the Christian Era." If you don't immediately add this to the poll, you will be cursed to spending the rest of your days endlessly reading posts from the debate forum.

Valliant effort PTN.

Were haggis not such a repulsive, vomit-inducing sack of yuk, you may have garnered more support.

Hey, now. If the Haggis gets a shot, then we need to add MMX. The romans had their day and that needs to be recognized, and if modern interests prevail, then anything with an X is cool.

MMX baby.

Git some.

IMO, 20-10 is another sign of ignorance perpetuated by the media.

Example: it's like "90120"...it's not "nine-OH-two-one-OH", it's "nine-ZERO-two-one-ZERO"...:mad:...thus "20-10" is really two thousand ten...last year wasn't "20-double-aught"...:D

But that's just my opinion...:mug:

Twenty Ten sounds fine. I'm more concerned of how to group together 2000-2009, "well back in the two thousands" seems like the whole century. "Last Decade" will work for a while, but not in 2020. I'm thinking "back in the Aughts" since it was Twenty Aught Nine last year.

IMO, 20-10 is another sign of ignorance perpetuated by the media.

Example: it's like "90120"...it's not "nine-OH-two-one-OH", it's "nine-ZERO-two-one-ZERO"...:mad:...thus "20-10" is really two thousand ten...last year wasn't "20-double-aught"...:D

But that's just my opinion...:mug:

Sign of ignorance huh?
I believe you meant 90210 :p

But I don't see how your example applies. Nobody is saying the Letter O in place of Zeros like your example. 20 and 10 are both numbers...in case you didn't notice. :mug:

I have referred to all years as 09 (ott nine). This one will be ten. Just like my grandfather referred to 1909 as ott-nine and 1910 as the year ten.

Sign of ignorance huh?
I believe you meant 90210 :p

But I don't see how your example applies. Nobody is saying the Letter O in place of Zeros like your example. 20 and 10 are both numbers...in case you didn't notice. :mug:
I only meant it as an example of people using improper terms just because "that's the way the media says it" mentality. Just because they say it doesn't make it right, correct, or proper.

For instance, I can SAY an eight word sentence, using all common English words and I'll bet you that you will never be able to WRITE that sentence using just eight words.

The words are: THERE ARE THREE _______ IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE.

What no one can do is fill in the blank with the correct word.

I can say (what sounds like) TO's, TOO'S OR TWO'S, but using either one in a written sentence is incorrect. This is not the only sentence like that. There are more.

You are right about the order of the zip code though...dyslexic fingers...;)

Back