Types of hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IceFisherChris

Reaction score
When it comes to bittering hops, how much of a difference is there between the final outcome? Do you still get a noticeable amount flavor/aroma from bittering hops? I understand alpha acid and all that stuff, I am just wondering how different a beer would taste if you substituted Chinook bittering hops for Columbus... or something of that nature.

Right now I am just under the impression that you only get bitterness from a hop that you boil for 60 minutes. Correct me if I am wrong?

i have not tried this personally but i do remember reading a post where someone did change their favorite bittering hops and yes it did change the taste of the beer.

Mainly asking because if I'm wondering if I can get a bittering hop that would work great for nearly all styles of beer. I am a broke-a$$ right now but I still need my beer :p

There are six alpha acids. Each hop has different ratios. Widmer uses Alchemy for most bittering, but that's actually a carefully blended mix. If you want to use a single hop for all bittering, Galena is a good choice. It's a medium-high AA that is well balanced.

As to the last question, you do get bitterness from any amount of boiling time. You can enter a hop into one of the softwares or online recipe calculators, and change the boil time and see the difference it makes.

Back