40 ounces?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManBearPig

Reaction score
Ive been brewing for a little a year, and still bottle. I would like to bottle in 40's. It would speed up the process a bit and heck, i usually drink 3-4 brews at a time anyway...thing is i cant find 40s on any site or at any store. I do know of a few beers/malt liquors that sell 40oz with pry off tops. But id end up dumping that out just to have the bottle. Any one know where i can find these?

There's 1.5 litre bordeaux bottles I just looked at midwest. That's 48 oz, I'm sure you can handle another 8oz of beer. ;)

-OCD

For what you would pay for the bottle alone at the homebrew shop (assuming you can find them), I'm guessing you'd be better off buying the bottle with the beer in it. You know you can drink the beer that comes in those bottles, right?:cross:

Another option is to hit up your local recycling center and buy back some empties...just a thought...

While the bottling process is fast with a large bottle, keep in mind that, by the end of drinking the bottle the beer will be room temperature and most likely completely flat. If you use smaller bottles, you can drink them one at a time while the next one stays cold and carbonated in the fridge.

In a hot country like Spain or Italy the beers are often 25cl (about 8oz) so that you can drink them before they get warm, and you just drink more of them.

edit: clarity

You can always use the malt liquor to boil crawdads. I use cheap beer for boiling sausages prior to grilling them.

If you dump out beer for the bottle, I will find you and scalp you.;)

Get some kegging supplies. That's what I am about to do.

Recently cleaned out the corner gas station of the 40s of high life. Used the beer for beer pong and the bottles and caps I'm saving for the rouge malt liquor clone from CYBI.

:D

I use 1 litre Mr Beer PET bottles for the main bulk of my bottling. 32 bottles does 10 gallons, screw tops.....easy peasy! :)

The Whole Foods by me sells swing top growlers of Altenmunster beer for $16. They make a maibock, and a doppelbock. Both of which are good. I usually fill 2 of them up at bottling time. That's 20% of the batch in about a minute.

Thanks for the replies, so basically the answer is no. No hbs or online vendor sells 40 oz pry top bottles. Dang. Those alternatives are just plain expensive. Oh, and by the way, the Colt-45 40's taste like butt. But they deliver a great buzz, i wouldnt completely waste it...:)

Maybe you can get some from a recycling center.

I'd only buy/drink them if I felt like I really needed to puke. I remember drinking 40s in HS and it was the best...a cheap, easy drunk. I bought one a few years ago for nostalgia, I really almost puked when I took a sip. The rest went down the drain.

Go to your local bar(The one with a good selection) and see if they will save you a few cases of pint bottles or even flip tops. You may get them for the deposit price!!

Chardo

Move to Memphis, I think they sell forties at Baby Gap and Stride-Rite down here. That was a little bit of a stretch but I get a 40 of BMC when I go to my favorite fried chicken place. Its very refreshing.

Tecate, and other Mexican piss beers come in 32oz. I had a party and bought like 20 of them.

I have a few of the 32 oz bottles and like using them a lot. It's the perfect size for sharing with a friend, a pint each. For most of beer I don't like anything bigger than 22oz bombers, beacause as someone mentioned the beer gets a little overly warm and flat by the end if I'm drinking a 32 oz alone. But maybe I'm just not drinking fast enough :D

I keg and wanted to quickly get a couple bottles for a party iwas going to. I used some wine bottles. I used corks and had them full and ready to go in no time.

Don't know if cork is a long term option. But there is always the rubbery newer corks.

Wine is cheap. Buy some 2 buck chuck($3) bag of corks for a few bucks and a cheap corker...

Humm wait you plan to carb in the bottle? Maybe wine bottles with corks won't work.

Wine bottles for a carbonated beverage is a very bad idea. They aren't made to take the pressure, bombs waiting to happen.

Back