USED Bottle Label Glue Removal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cabanabob

Reaction score
Just getting involved in brewing. finding that the cost of bottles can ruin your day. have been collecting brewery bottles, of course after we've drained them. Havent come up with a way to take the old labels and glue off. Looking for answers/suggestions. :mug:

There are a million ways. Here's mine:

1. Soak the bottles in hot water for about 15 or 30 minutes.
2. Scrape the label off with a short knife.
3. Scrub the glue off with a scratchy type sponge.
4. Rinse and repeat.

Maybe I'm crazy not to just let them soak in some Oxyclean or other chemicals for 24 hours, but then I am a bit crazy.

-Steve

I soak in hot water + oxyclean for 30 minutes, an hour, or whatever. Basically, I just leave them in the sink for a while until I remember them sometime later. Most labels come right off after that, and I use the rough side of a kitchen sponge to remove any remaining bits.

I've only had a couple of labels that were stubborn enough to resist the oxyclean treatment entirely.

Sierra Nevada are some of easiest labels I've ever removed. Soaked in hot diluted PBW (Powdered Brewers Wash) for an hour and the labels fall off. The glue is easily rubbed off with scotch bright kitchen sponge. Some labels are harder to get off than others but the thread mentioned above will get you what you need.

Some labels come off easier than others, too. I really like Great Lakes Brewery. Great beer, and the labels come right off and there aren't any engravings in the glass. Dogfish Head labels come off easy, also, as do Bell's.

I soak in a bin with hot water and a scoop of oxiclean for about an hour, then the labels slip right off. I use a scrubbie to get off any remaining glue. Then, rinse well, and they're all ready to be stored until bottling day.

Back