opinions on recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sconnie

Reaction score
i'm brand new to the home brew world, and i'm going to start up a simple jug wine or a cider soon. In addition, i'm thinking of making something a little more complex that takes a bit of time to age. I came across this Cyser recipe:
http://www.nwlink.com/~badger/cyser.html
The instructions seem quite good, but i've never done this before. Is there anything left out of these instructions that i should know before attempting this? What yeast would be best to make it not super dry? This recipe does not say to "prime" before bottleing as i've seen in other recipes. What are the advantages of priming, and how would i do so in this recipe? Any opinions on changes to the recipe would also be appreciated.

priming is the process of adding a LITTLE sugar to a brew that still has living yeast in it just before you bottle it up. The yeast will eat the sugar after bottling and generate the carbon dioxide needed for bubbly beverages.

If you don't prime, you get a non-carbonated beverage.

I know jack about cysers, so maybe they are supposed to be non-carbonated/

-walker

The recipe is sound enough. The dryness can be controlled by the amount of honey used. The recipe calls for 2-4 lbs of honey....less is dryer, more is sweeter. The cider will also provide some sweetness. If you think you might want a sparkling cyser, it might be best to use less honey and make sure it fully ferments out (several months) before priming, rather than bottling still ferment brew (glass grenade syndrome). Personally, I prefer to prime with honey. It takes longer, but it enhances that already wonderful flavor.

Thanks. My local homebrew shop sells a "sweet mead" yeast that says it leaves 2 to 3 % residual sugar. With that in mind, how much honey would you use? They sell honey in 3.3 lb jars, would that be too much?:confused:

I would wager serious money that the honey you buy at the HBS is much, much more expensive than what you'd get at the grocery store or from a local producer.

Taking into account that there is sugar in the cider, 3.3 lbs. would make for quite a sweet mead. 2.5 lbs in a gallon should be adequate for a dryer, only slightly sweet mead (in my opinion only, of course):tank:

Alright, i started the cyser yesterday. I followed the basic directions of the recipe, using a little over 2.5 lbs of honey, wyeast sweet mead yeast, and adding 1 tsp yeast nutrient, 1 tsp pectic enzyme, and 1/2 tsp of acid blend.
How do you guys think i did? I only used 1/2 tsp acid blend because the apple juice has some acid in it, does that seem about right? Any other advice is appreciated.

P.S. The Bird, i did buy the honey from the HBS, 3.1 lbs for $12. This seemed reasonable, and it's a really great store that i like to support (The Whine and Hop Shop in Madison, WI).

the_bird said:
I would wager serious money that the honey you buy at the HBS is much, much more expensive than what you'd get at the grocery store or from a local producer.

Oh, homes, no, I must beg to differ. I got 12 pounds of clover for $30... that's amazing. Grocery store is like $4 a pound. Honey is just now getting out of a very expensive shortage.

For any cyser you just need a ton of honey so it ferments longer, this is the best part of brewing these in my opinion. 1 gallon of apple juice- 5 pounds honey. 5 gallons apple juice 25+ pounds of honey.

Our Costco charges $17 for 3kg (6.6lbs) of something that passes for honey, but one of the Nurses I work with's Dad has an apiary, so I can get fabulous alfalfa, wildflower or fireweed honey for $2/lb!! Hurray for me!!

I guess I shouldn't complain about my $12 for a 1 gallon (12 pound) bottle of desert flower honey.

No, I'm NOT giving up my source. :D:D

steve

It's at one of the places I work, and for some strange reason, most of the honey we get, ends up in one of my fermenters. (I work at a freight damaged re-sale store, and we probably see 10, 12 pound jars a year.) I also see the rare bottle of maple syrup, which I also jump on!

Oh, the other job, is my local HBS.

steve

skou said:
Oh, the other job, is my local HBS.

Hey Steve, do you work at Brewers Connection in Tempe? If so, I think you sold me some equipment last weekend for my 1 gallon batch of Mead :)

I was there on the 1st of september, as an audition, (for lack of a better description) and came back to work on last Friday.

It was either Jeff, (the owner) or Brian that you saw. Jeff has red hair, and a young handlebar mustache. Brian has a goatee.

Yes, I am at Brewers Connection. I LIKE it! First beer job I've had, since I left Ali'i Brewing in Hawaii, in '98.

Cregar, what part of the Valley do you live in? (I think I've asked that before.)

steve

I live in Central Phoenix... around Indian School & 7th street. I should be coming into Brewers Connection this coming weekend to pick up some more supplies.

I have talked with Jeff a few times. It was probley Brian then who sold me some of the equipment.

Cregar said:
Hey Steve, do you work at Brewers Connection in Tempe? If so, I think you sold me some equipment last weekend for my 1 gallon batch of Mead :)

So, how's the 1 gallon batch going? I'm going to be racking my 4 gallon batch of Cranberry, and making another one. Picked up another 6 gallon carboy today, and I'm filling it up with the next batch.

Next, will be a nut brown ale, with macadamia nut flavour. I'll try to copy an old Ali'i Brewing, Macadamia Nut Brown Ale, if I can find the recipe. (That was my favourite beer, before they went under!)

steve

P funky said:
Oh, homes, no, I must beg to differ. I got 12 pounds of clover for $30... that's amazing. Grocery store is like $4 a pound. Honey is just now getting out of a very expensive shortage.
I found a local bee keeper who sells 50# jugs of clover honey for $1 a pound. I just picked up another one this morning, in fact. And I feel better supporting small local businesses.

Back