Kap N Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slobby1bjovi

Reaction score
Newbie alert! Brewing my first batch of Imperial Pale Ale in a 6.5 gallon brew bucket. Should I leave the grommeted hole in the lid of the bucket open? or plug it with something? Should this change at all during the fermentation process?

You'll want to plug it with an airlock. The fill airlock to the line with starsan or cheap vodka.
vinty_airlock.jpg

May I also just add that you should be prepared for a blow-off to happen. In a 6.5 gallon, it's less likely but can still happen depending on your batch size.If the Krausen hits the top of the opening and starts coing into the air lock (vodka turns from clear to brown), you may be at risk for a ceiling covered in sticky beer.

Good discussion on that here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/air-lock-vs-blow-off-tube-50456/

Lots of videos and FAQs online explaining how to do it. I use 5 gallon carboys and always use a blow off tube for the first week or so then switch to a standard airlock.

Mr Jackson put it best in his post above.... for the first few days of active fermentation, use a blow off tube, after that an airlock full of star san solution or vodka or ever clear is the way to go.

Welcome to HBT and to this wonderful hobdiction!!

Back