THE definitive guide to brewing...Popular Mechanics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruscar

Eat, drink, repeat
Reaction score
Ask for a refund for any money you've paid here, throw out all the books you've ever read. Palmer? A know-nothing hack!
Popular Mechanics has managed to transcend the Greater Wisdom of Brewing with their current issue, October '08, in the "The PM Manual - 100 Skills Every Man Should Know". At number 59, "Home-brew beer." (I quote)...
"Go your local microbrew one better. Mix 4 to 5 pounds of malt extract with 5 gal. of water. Boil vigorously for an hour, adding the desired amount (huh??) and variety of hops (Whu..?) at the start and again after 45 minutes of boiling. (Wait, how much?) Cool quickly, then pour into a fermenter (Wuzzat?) and add yeast. (Helen, got any yeast left over from your rye bread??) "That's what gives beer its fizz" says Todd Frye, owner of the Home Brewery. (Thank you, Messiah, for that wisdom!) Let the mixture ferment for two to three weeks (I'll just leave this "fermenter" thingy outside by the shed.), then add 1 1/2 cups of corn sugar. Bottle a batch in sterilized glass, seal it (Like, with saran wrap?) and let it sit for three to six weeks."

So, that's it, guys. (Sorry, ladies. Evidently wimmens ain't s'posed to know these things.)

I thank you for all the advice from all of you, but I've got to get busy and frame the "Brewing Bible" and get brewing! This will be the last you hear of me. I don't need you anymore! Ciao!

icon_rolleyes.gif

Amazing that they didn't even mention an airlock. So you have a big bucket of wort and yeast and you're just going to let it sit for 3 weeks. FANTASTIC!

Thats just Pop Mechanics. They do the same thing when they talk about building Nuclear Reactors.

So... Are you saying I shouldn't fire that puppy up? I followed the directions precisely.

So if I pull out one of my brew books, will it tell me how to fix my car ???

Back