Any good ideas on what to do with steeped grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryno1ryno

Reaction score
Is there anything that can be done with steeped grain leftovers aside from tossing them in the trash?

Make a cake? :)

I am about to toss mine 60L caramel leftover steep.

Just curious.

Some people make bread.
I have a neighbor who has chickens. He gets grain, I get eggs.

I routinely make bread from spent grain. It's only a portion of the whole recipe, only 2 cups for every 6 cups flour, but it really gives body to a loaf.
I give the rest to a local guy who picks it up for his chickens.

Chickens definitely go crazy over spent grains, if the batch I dumped on them from a partial mash is any indication.

I've made dog treats from it (the dogs that get them go nuts) as well as used it in bread. Last batch of bread I made with it, I spun the spent grains in the food processor to slice them up more (makes the grains smaller in the bread) and included some unfermented wort too. Came out great. I think I let it rise twice before baking the loaves, which also helped. For me, it all depends on what the beer recipe was. If I don't think the spent grains will be good in something else, or I don't have time/space to do anything with it, they go into the compost heap/bin. I don't have one of those where I live, but my mother and sister do at their house. :D I need to look for some local farms that will take the spent grains from my batches and use it. Hopefully with colder weather coming (or here) they'll be more willing to accept it.

I was going to say compost. I haven't seen anyone say compost in the other threads like this and I was surprised.

I'm going to start to save mine for my older brother. He puts apples and stuff out for the deer on his property and the grains would be a nice addition.
Judging by the trail cameras that he has in the woods near the apples, the elk and coyotes eat more of the apples than the deer. At least the coyotes probably won't eat the grain.

If you like to feed the birds in your yard, the spent grain would be good for that also.

If it works in the bird feeder then I might just do that.

This is what I was going to say. I made dog treats twice, and after an entire brew day, the last thing I want to do is clean up even more spent grain and flour and **** all over the place from baking dog treats. Although they do like them.

Bird seed / compost! :mug:

Compost. With the idea to be planting a (figurative) seed that when one day I plant some barley in the soil, it will have abundant nutrients to produce high quality barley.

I have a goal to one year make a beer start to finish. Grow hops and barley. Malt barley. Make beer.

Back