Settling Time for Disturbed Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpcoote

Reaction score
I made a traditional mead about two months ago. After about one month I racked it to a glass carboy. About two weeks ago power outages from Hurricane Isaac prompted me to move the mead from my air-conditionless house to a relatives house about a block away. I just moved it back to my house a few days ago. In all that comotion, I tried to ensure the mead splashed as little as possible, but in the end it got a little shook up. I don't think it was enough to cause any oxidation issues, but it certainly got the sediment all shook up again. How is this going to affect the clearing of my mead? Should i expect a couple more months added to clearing time?

It depends on the yeast used but could take 30-90 days to be as clear as you would want without finning agents. My JOAM which uses bread yeast sat 90+ days and even when bottled after that I still had sediment in my bottles 3 months from then.

The time taken to settle depends on too many variables to give an accurate answer. Things like the type of yeast, whether it flocculates well or not, temperature, etc etc.

Bread yeasts, as used in JAOM, are a bugger. It's easily brought back into suspension, just by moving the carboy to where you're gonna conduct the rack/bottling.

A lot of wine yeasts will flocculate well, if cold crashed for a couple of days.

Or you can try some finings, something gentle like bentonite or sparkoloid, or a 2 part quick clearing type.....

Latest posts

Back