Beauty or bunk? Let's put the new Sam Adams glass to task...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, it is put up or shut up time, Mr. Koch, let's see if they stack up!

This test involves a reading every 5 minutes to compare taste, aroma and temperature between the new Sam Adams glass, an English pint, and a regular (what, American?) pint glass. Readings will be taken and recorded to ultimately decide if Mr. Koch wasted his money sending me these beautiful glasses. :D

The glasses from this point on will be noted as:
SA= Sam Adams glass
EP=English pint
RP=Regular pint

Here we go:

Immediately after pour:
SA: 50 deg (side note: noticeable bubbles, not evident in other glasses)
EP: 50 deg
RP: 50 deg

after 5 minutes:
SA: 53 deg, strong aroma, strong taste
EP: 51 deg, not as strong aroma or taste as SA glass
RP: 50 deg, not as strong aroma or taste as SA glass

10 mins:
SA: 54 deg, intense aroma,(side note, numerous bubbles in glass)
EP: 53 deg, subdued aroma and taste
RP: 52 deg, subdued aroma and taste

15 mins:
SA: 57 deg, still has strong aroma and taste, still has intense bubbles
EP: 55 deg, not as strong aroma and taste as SA
RP: 53 deg, not as strong aroma and taste as SA

20 mins:
SA: 57 deg, no changes
EP: 56 deg, no changes
RP: 54 deg, no changes

25 mins:
SA: 59 deg, still strong aroma and taste, constant bubbles
EP: 58 deg, no changes
RP: 56 deg, no changes

Summary/special notes:

Aesthetics on this SA glass are just awesome. It holds well, it grasps the lips and is a pleasant drink. It has a shortfall in holding the temperature, as both other pint glasses held cooler temps (although slight) longer. The SA glass really, REALLY accentuated aroma and had a more full, bodied taste and aroma throughout the session.

Verdict:

BEAUTY. I like this glass. Definitely worth the price.
(that said, I wouldn't spend 30 bones on 4 of them, but I'd buy them for a fair price)

Last note....I drank 3 Fuller's ESBs in 30 minutes, I'm drunk. :rockin: :cross: :drunk:

Do you think there is a psychological effect?

The mind can increase perceived reaction from senses if you are expecting them.
If this is so then that's a positive as well.

Good job on the desciptions and temperature notes. I almost pulled the trigger on 4 of them by the way but reconsidered at checkout. I would definately get a couple if they were a little less though, I think they look cool as well.

I was thrilled when I went to Pizzeria Uno the other day, randomly ordered their "UNO Amber", and it showed up in the Sam Adams glass. I didn't expect to be seeing any of those glasses anytime soon up here in the sticks. Seemed a little weird, them putting their house brand amber ale in the SA glass, but with some quick googling it appears their "uno amber" is actually Sam Adams boston ale.

the sa glass lets the beer warm up. the other two are prolly thicker and keep the temp more constant. doesn't the flavor/aroma get released as the temp increases a bit?

uglygoat said:
the sa glass lets the beer warm up. the other two are prolly thicker and keep the temp more constant. doesn't the flavor/aroma get released as the temp increases a bit?

Yes it does.

That's why I drink my ale at cellar temp not fridge temp 53°f rather than 40°f

orfy said:
Do you think there is a psychological effect?

A friend and I just did a direct comparo of the new SA glasses to regular pint glasses using Widmer's W'07 PA couple nights ago. We didn't take it as far as Dude (great job Dude, BTW!) but we both formulated opinions independently and then discussed afterwards to try and avoid influencing eachother. Seeing as I recieved the glasses for free and out of the blue (for subscribing to "All About Beer" mag), and being pretty skeptical by nature, I would have been plenty content to find out it was all a just a gimick. My friend, Dave, was a bit jealous that I'd recieved two free glasses in the mail and he hadn't, so he was also secretly (and understandably) hoping the glasses wouldn't offer a better drinking experience.

Well, we both independently came to the exact same conclusions: the ale in the regular pint glass tasted slightly more bitter and the ale in the SA glass definitely had more aroma and more fruityness (the W'07 being a very fruity PA to begin with).

All in all, I would say the new Sam Adams glassware functions as advertised, plus they are very nice to hold, makes the beer look absolutely inviting, and the neat, uniform column of bubbles rising in the center of the glass is pretty cool looking.

Two such glasses is adequate for me and I probably won't purchase anymore for myself, but definitely a great gift idea of friends who enjoy great craft brew and, of course, home brew!

Yuri_Rage said:
EDIT:
Sorry if anyone else here was bidding on these...I kinda snuck into the auction at the last minute.

Is there any other way to do it? As far as I'm concerned, anyone bidding with more than a minute to go in the auction is just driving up the price.

Nice deal on those. I'm not sure if I'm going to purchase any. I'm pretty happy with my imperial pint glasses.

Yeah, Edwort posted a short whiles back about using Starsan to easily remove paint from bottles.

if i'm not mistaken, the glass was designed specifically for sam adams boston lager ... not "everybeer". this is what the website says anyway

teu1003 said:
if i'm not mistaken, the glass was designed specifically for sam adams boston lager ... not "everybeer". this is what the website says anyway

So what qualities does sam adams have, relative to other beers, which would make them want to design a glass that way?

Answer: Hops, aroma, flavor.

And what do most homebrews and other microbrews have?

Answer: The same thing

I'd say this would be a good glass for many different styles. Although, I use a snifter for my maltier brews and really like that... Besides, most good beers have a glass designed for it and have for many years. Perhaps hundreds of years. There's nothing magical about that. Most wines (varietals) have specifically designed glasses as well. And, while you wouldn't drink a Cabernet from a Champagne flute, mostly, they will all accentuate some different aspect of the beverage. Beyond that, insisting on the "right" glass is mere EAC-ism

in the "Beer Lovers rating Guide" by Bob Klein, here are the types of beer glasses listed (with pictures): Ale Glass; Stout Glass; Lager Mug; faceted lager mug (english style); pint lager or bitter glass;pilsner glass; wheat glass; snifters; flute glass; tulip glass.

glasses are designed for different styles ... its on the sa website ... i didnt make it up

teu1003 said:

In the letter that was included with the glasses, it specifically said to enjoy a malty beverage or somethign to that effect.

teu1003 said:
in the "Beer Lovers rating Guide" by Bob Klein, here are the types of beer glasses listed (with pictures): Ale Glass; Stout Glass; Lager Mug; faceted lager mug (english style); pint lager or bitter glass;pilsner glass; wheat glass; snifters; flute glass; tulip glass.

glasses are designed for different styles ... its on the sa website ... i didnt make it up

I don't think you made it up. I'm just saying that you're reading the statement too narrowly. I wear shoes designed for runners, but I mostly just walk. Nevertheless, they seem to perform flawlessly. I don't seem to trip and fall significantly more often while walking and wearing running shoes. I don't think I would trip and fall less as a result of wearing walking shoes. They may be designed for running, but they are certainly not limited to that application. I don't think anybody is surprised that running shoes work for walking... In fact, I think people expect that runners might walk in their shoes as well.

Instead of buying into what the marketing department says, why don't you look at the glass's characteristics and decide for yourself where they would have a good application.

Personally, I think it's a lousy choice for cellar-temp beers. They will warm too quickly.. but they are great in a pub where everything is served less than a hair above freezing.

Seems they might be nice with English ales that have a little less carbonation too.

Damn Squirrels said:
I don't think you made it up. I'm just saying that you're reading the statement too narrowly. I wear shoes designed for runners, but I mostly just walk. Nevertheless, they seem to perform flawlessly. I don't seem to trip and fall significantly more often while walking and wearing running shoes. I don't think I would trip and fall less as a result of wearing walking shoes. They may be designed for running, but they are certainly not limited to that application. I don't think anybody is surprised that running shoes work for walking... In fact, I think people expect that runners might walk in their shoes as well.

Instead of buying into what the marketing department says, why don't you look at the glass's characteristics and decide for yourself where they would have a good application.

Personally, I think it's a lousy choice for cellar-temp beers. They will warm too quickly.. but they are great in a pub where everything is served less than a hair above freezing.

Seems they might be nice with English ales that have a little less carbonation too.

i think you are reading MY comment too narrowly ... i'm just forgiving SA in advance. the website says its designed for boston lager. cool ... i drink all beers from a paper cup. i imagine the bad ones taste bad and the good ones taste good. cant imagine why the glass makes a difference but i imagine that many people do. sa obviously does.

I mentioned them to my wife, and a set showed up. They're worth the money. Sam Adam's is a huge supporter of homebrew, and they do make a passable beer or two. I'm not above passing a few bucks to a commercial brewery, if they're scratching our backs. I call them our "racing glasses" and have already enjoyed a few IPA and weisen fueled buzzes from them.

Dude said:
In the letter that was included with the glasses, it specifically said to enjoy a malty beverage or somethign to that effect.
The letter I received encouraged me to try some of my home brewed beers in the glasses.
I don't understand the big issue here. If I owned a brewery and made a special glass for one of my beers, I would certainly want people to drink my beer in them. Why wouldn't I? I would also have my logo on them because the glasses are an advertising tool. I like to collect beer glasses from different brewers so I think the SA glasses are kick ass! :rockin:
I think SA should be commended for doing this. :mug:

RichBrewer said:
The letter I received encouraged me to try some of my home brewed beers in the glasses.
I don't understand the big issue here. If I owned a brewery and made a special glass for one of my beers, I would certainly want people to drink my beer in them. Why wouldn't I? I would also have my logo on them because the glasses are an advertising tool. I like to collect beer glasses from different brewers so I think the SA glasses are kick ass! :rockin:
I think SA should be commended for doing this. :mug:

I totally agree Rich. Good on SA.

Edwort, check out the post I made on page 1 of this thread, you can still get your glasses.

To do the test in a truly fair manner, you'd need to be sampling the ESB from both glasses at the same temperature, so that you could discern whether the increased aroma was coming from the shape of the glass itself or the fact it was simply allowing the beer to warm up more quickly.

Quick, back to the testing lab!

the_bird said:
To do the test in a truly fair manner, you'd need to be sampling the ESB from both glasses at the same temperature, so that you could discern whether the increased aroma was coming from the shape of the glass itself or the fact it was simply allowing the beer to warm up more quickly.

Quick, back to the testing lab!
and it could take multiple rounds of tasting to be sure the results are accurate. :D

Gotta have a large enough sample size!

Ideally, you'd have multiple testers, as well. Why don't you send one of the glasses up to me for my observations...

Got my glasses today! Money well spent, I think!

I like the way they feel, and SWMBO thinks they look kinda classy (even better if they had no logo...but that would sorta kill the marketing).

I drank a Full Sail IPA from one earlier - nothing overly remarkable about the glass regarding flavor yet, but I didn't do a side-by-side comparison with another glass since it was my last bottle of that particular beer. It feels nice and comfortable, easy to drink from.

I just opened two Odell Cutthroat Porters. One went into a SA glass, the other into an American pint (AP).

Two minutes after the pour:
SA: 43° F, STRONG nose
AP: 42° F, little aroma
Even SWMBO noticed a significant difference in the aroma - and I didn't tell her which should be different or how they should be different.

10 minutes:
SA: 49° F, nice, strong aroma - the caramel, chocolate, and coffee notes are quite intense and distinct
AP: 48° F, no perceivable difference in flavor or aroma

15 minutes:
SA: 51° F, aroma still strong, bubbles evident as a circle of foam in the center of the glass
AP: 50° F, little aroma, one-dimensional flavor, head almost completely dissipated

20 minutes:
SA: 54° F, I'm sold!
AP: 53° F, nothing to add

25 minutes
(after holding the glasses in my hands for 5 minutes and sipping from them equally):
SA: 59° F
AP: 57° F

I think I have my verdict! I tested with a beer that isn't exactly a favorite - I just happened to have two of them close at hand. It turns out that it was a perfect choice. The Sam Adams glass REALLY brought this beer to life for me! In the American pint glass, I could only smell faint notes of burned toast. The flavor was one-dimensional - almost entirely roasted grain, making the beer taste acrid and charcoal-like. When I sipped from the Sam Adams glass, the aroma was much, much stronger, and it presented a more complex nose - caramel, chocolate, and coffee. As a result, I could taste those notes in the beer, and it seemed a bit sweeter - much more palatable. I didn't really touch the glasses much during the first 20 minutes, so I decided to manhandle them for 5 minutes to see how the temperature would change. It really didn't change as much as I expected. Sure, the SA glass warmed the beer slightly faster, but I don't think it's objectionable. In fact, an Englishman might find that attribute pleasing when served an ice-cold beer in an American pub.

A+, Sam Adams! Thanks for a great new product!

Post-script...
I just poured the last of the beer in the AP glass into the SA glass...and now I'm calling myself a Nancy for having taken half an hour to drink two beers.

Yuri_Rage said:
Got my glasses today! Money well spent, I think!

I like the way they feel, and SWMBO thinks they look kinda classy (even better if they had no logo...but that would sorta kill the marketing).

I drank a Full Sail IPA from one earlier - nothing overly remarkable about the glass regarding flavor yet, but I didn't do a side-by-side comparison with another glass since it was my last bottle of that particular beer. It feels nice and comfortable, easy to drink from.

I just opened two Odell Cutthroat Porters. One went into a SA glass, the other into an American pint (AP).

Two minutes after the pour:
SA: 43° F, STRONG nose
AP: 42° F, little aroma
Even SWMBO noticed a significant difference in the aroma - and I didn't tell her which should be different or how they should be different.

10 minutes:
SA: 49° F, nice, strong aroma - the caramel, chocolate, and coffee notes are quite intense and distinct
AP: 48° F, no perceivable difference in flavor or aroma

15 minutes:
SA: 51° F, aroma still strong, bubbles evident as a circle of foam in the center of the glass
AP: 50° F, little aroma, one-dimensional flavor, head almost completely dissipated

20 minutes:
SA: 54° F, I'm sold!
AP: 53° F, nothing to add

25 minutes
(after holding the glasses in my hands for 5 minutes and sipping from them equally):
SA: 59° F
AP: 57° F

I think I have my verdict! I tested with a beer that isn't exactly a favorite - I just happened to have two of them close at hand. It turns out that it was a perfect choice. The Sam Adams glass REALLY brought this beer to life for me! In the American pint glass, I could only smell faint notes of burned toast. The flavor was one-dimensional - almost entirely roasted grain, making the beer taste acrid and charcoal-like. When I sipped from the Sam Adams glass, the aroma was much, much stronger, and it presented a more complex nose - caramel, chocolate, and coffee. As a result, I could taste those notes in the beer, and it seemed a bit sweeter - much more palatable. I didn't really touch the glasses much during the first 20 minutes, so I decided to manhandle them for 5 minutes to see how the temperature would change. It really didn't change as much as I expected. Sure, the SA glass warmed the beer slightly faster, but I don't think it's objectionable. In fact, an Englishman might find that attribute pleasing when served an ice-cold beer in an American pub.

A+, Sam Adams! Thanks for a great new product!

Post-script...
I just poured the last of the beer in the AP glass into the SA glass...and now I'm calling myself a Nancy for having taken half an hour to drink two beers.
Comments Evan?

So far the results suggest that warm beer has more flavour and aroma, no surprise there really, seems the english were onto something with their warm beer :)

RichBrewer said:
Comments Evan?

F*ck yes, comments!

Not that I'm out to bash the rather in-depth studies undertaken here, but they've both got one major flaw: they stacked the SA glass up against the least-expressive beer drinking vessel there ever was: the pint glass. Unless I'm out at a bar or restaurant and said restaurant doesn't have the sense to serve beer in vessels that accentuate its character, I never drink out of pint glasses. They rob me of the experience of actually being able to smell the beer. I mean, comparing the SA glass to a pint glass is like putting a Reidel Bordeaux glass up against a Solo cup in a wine tasting. No contest, but this much is obvious.

I drink my beer almost exclusively out of a Lucifer club-footed snifter, and sometimes out of a Unibroue glass which is not quite as bulbous. Sometimes I even drink it out of a Reidel or G&C Bordeaux glass. The shape of these glasses concentrates the aromas and directs them towards your nasal passages, this accentuating the nose of the beer. The pint glass, on the other hand, is woefully inadequate.

As I've said before in reference to the SA glasses, the best feature it has going for it is the rounded shape and smaller rim, to concentrate and direct the aroma into your nose. I've never denied the efficacy of this feature---but I have pointed out that there are a million other glasses already on the market that are designed in exactly the same way, and I even have some glasses in my basement that have a similar shape as the SA.

The other feature that seemed to impress the testers here was the laser etching to facilitate bubbling. Maybe it's just the wino in me, but I've always just swirled my beer around when I want some bubbles (to accentuate the aromas). It seems to me that if it were constantly bubbling, it would go flatter faster, but I really am not sure about that. Either way...it's intiguing but not really all that important unless you have some kind of physical deformity that prevents you from swirling your glass a few times with your hand.

So, getting back to my original point: the tests weren't really "fair", because they pitted the SA glasses against a woefully inadequate competitor. Maybe the SA glass really is ten times better than my Lucifer snifter and my Unibroue stemmed glasses...but pitting it against plain ol' pinties can't tell me either way.

But nonetheless, I appreciate the efforts of the guys who did the tasting...Dude and Yuri. Can't say I'm surprised by the outcome, but it's cool that someone undertook it. :mug:

At the end of the day, my feeling is not negative regarding these new glasses---to me, it represents a step forward in changing the image of beer from the bastard drink of the unwashed underclasses to a more sophisticated status closer to wine. And that's excellent! Georg Reidel went through a similar process in order to craft specific wine glasses for certain grape varietals or styles of wine, each of which accentuated its particular characteristics. I'd love to see more of this...I foresee someone coming out with sets of glasses for beer styles just like Reidel has done with wine (I'm not so ignorant to think that snifters are the best vessel for every style of beer). And so I appreciate SA's efforts and commend them for putting this out there. The only thing I've faulted them on is overselling the glasses with all their silly red arrows and laundry list of supposed features---like claiming that the rounded shape somehow keeps the temperature at the proper temp longer, or talking about the beaded lip creating "turbulence"---but none of that is to say that the glass doesn't possess valid features. It certainly does.

Back