Wyeast v White Labs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarrodaden

Reaction score
I never really gave much though to Wyeast because the LHBS recipes have called for White Labs yeast but then I noticed many people using Wyeast in the various videos that I have watched online.

I was surprised by the much higher cost of Wyeast and there was also a sign on the cooler at the LHBS indicating it had limited availability due to high demand.

Is Wyeast really that much better, and why?

At the store I go to wyeast is actually cheaper than white labs. I have had good results with both.

Its really about personal preference. When I first started brewing I used white labs, now I exclusively use Wyeast. I always get great results and I like the smack pack feature. So its Wyeast for me.

I think both are very good companies and make comparable products.

I was surprised by the much higher cost of Wyeast and there was also a sign on the cooler at the LHBS indicating it had limited availability due to high demand.

That's just BS regarding the "limited availability". Both companies make a fine product and you can make excellent beer with either brand. Many but not all of the yeast strains have crossover versions from the other company which makes it fairly simple to find a sub for a recipe.

http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm

Sometimes the inner pouch on the Wyeast package is a pain to pop, but I always manage... I prefer Wyeast since I like the detailed info provided online, plus it's easier (for me) to use. I've seen enough threads from people where the White Labs vial spews all over the place, leaving them with maybe 1/2 a vial of slurry as a result.

As for the cost... Most online vendors have them either at the same price, or within $1.00 (or less) of each other. If your LHBS is charging you more for Wyeast, call them out on the BS of that. If it's more than a $1.00 difference, start buying your yeast online, or from another store.

Golddiggie said:
Sometimes the inner pouch on the Wyeast package is a pain to pop, but I always manage...

It's called a smack pack for a reason, smack it. You should be able to get one the first try every time. If you mess around with it with your thumbs first you will just push it around.

SMACK IT!

It's called a smack pack for a reason, smack it. You should be able to get one the first try every time. If you mess around with it with your thumbs first you will just push it around.

SMACK IT!

Oh, I do smack it... I use my PIMP HAND to smack that biotch!! :D Still, you don't want to have an accident with it. I have issues with my elbows (they got messed up when I was younger, work injury) so I typically lay the pack on the counter, isolate the pack and give it a decent whap... That will typically pop the inner pouch, and not F up the rest. :D

I have a sanitized cinder block that I keep just for wyeast packs. Just drop it on that *****. Works every time.

I've only used White Labs twice. On both occasions the yeast erupted out the vial when opening it. I stick with Wyeast because of this...

White Labs and dry here but not because Wyeast is inferior... just never had a reason to go with one. I thought I read there were less cells in a pack of Wyeast?

As far as I know, both vendors ship with about 100 billion cells. I've used both and been happy. I think Wyeast starters might get going a little quicker, but that could be because the smack pack gives them a head start.

White Labs and dry here but not because Wyeast is inferior... just never had a reason to go with one. I thought I read there were less cells in a pack of Wyeast?

From what I can find, they ship each vial with 70-140 billion cells. Wyeast labels their smack packs as having 100 billion cells inside. So, with a White Labs vial, you could have less than what Wyeast ships.

Gear101 said:
I think both are very good companies and make comparable products.

+1

White Labs is down the road from me so it's typically cheaper than Wyeast since distribution costs are nonexistent/minimal.

jeffjm said:
As far as I know, both vendors ship with about 100 billion cells. I've used both and been happy. I think Wyeast starters might get going a little quicker, but that could be because the smack pack gives them a head start.

Thats my experience too. I think that couple of hours from the smack gives them a nice little head start.

I mostly use White Labs because it seems like the wyeast selection is more often picked over. I can always find the white lab equivalent so I just go straight to the vials now.

My LHBS actually stopped carrying Wyeast - something about customer service issues? I've never actually asked the owner what the real reasons were behind dropping Wyeast...one of these days I will do that. Anyone else see their local shop drop one in favor of the other?

I've obviously been using a lot more White Labs since the switch, and I find it just as good. Yeah, the smack pack/visual reassurance of activity is nice, but the vial gives you the same yeast. I only use Wyeast now when there's not a comparable strain (3711, as one example...) When I *need* Wyeast, I order from American Brewmaster in Raleigh...they're close enough that even the slowest shipping in only a day, and the ice pack always keeps things cold enough, even in the summer heat...

I've found that the vials only "explode" or "spew out" if you vigorously shake them right before opening. Shake them vigorously, sure, to get everything mixed up, but then I drop the vial in my sanitizer for a min or two, then just gently tip and roll the vial for the final mix, briefly sanitize, then *slowly* crack the top, let out any gas pressure that's developed, then open fully. Works every time!

The smack packs are nice because if you aren't making a starter then you're pitching healthy active yeast instead of dormant yeast. But if you make a starter then it is a moot point.

White Labs is down the road from me so it's typically cheaper than Wyeast since distribution costs are nonexistent/minimal.

Jealous.

Have you been to their new tasting room? I just heard about it on a BrewStrong episode, where they're doing lots of side-by-side comparisons -- same worth, different yeast strains. It got me interested in WL after years of using Wyeast smackpacks.

helmingstay said:
Jealous.

Have you been to their new tasting room? I just heard about it on a BrewStrong episode, where they're doing lots of side-by-side comparisons -- same worth, different yeast strains. It got me interested in WL after years of using Wyeast smackpacks.

I haven't yet but plan on going soon. Their beer selection menu is on their webpage and changes often from what I understand.

Latest posts

Back