How long does beer last for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never had a beer in a keg for longer than 6 months, but I noticed no flavor issues at that point. As long as you're not introducing air, you shouldn't have a problem. You will notice though, that if you don't have much beer in the keg, it will start to take on a carbonic acid taste from absorbing too much co2 over time.

I have a a keg of oatmeal stout that is about 11 months old and it tastes fine.

You will notice though, that if you don't have much beer in the keg, it will start to take on a from absorbing too much co2 over time.

"Carbonic acid taste" is a bunch of crap. If the beer absorbs too much co2, it would be overcarbonated.

I have a a keg of oatmeal stout that is about 11 months old and it tastes fine.
"Carbonic acid taste" is a bunch of crap. If the beer absorbs too much co2, it would be overcarbonated.

I get the carbonic acid bitterness when I sample beer that is force carbing but not done, it disapates in a few days after that.

It has nothing to do with anything. When I saw the subject line, "How long does beer last for?", my first thought was, "About 20 minutes".

Carbonic bite is a good term for it. My 1st brew had it,at 7 weeks in the bottle from using cooper's carb drops. I bulk prime now,way better. My wife's summer shandy had been in bottles 7 weeks,4 days as of yesterday. The last 7 days in the fridge. It had really come into it's own as a good representation of a shandy. Great flavor where the US Golding & Willamette mixed with the 12 packets of Trulemon crystal to make a lemon herbal tea mixed with light pale ale sort of flavor. Great head & carbonation for a really tasty ale.

How long can you look at it and know it is there, before you you chill it and pour it? That is the the real question.

If someone offered me a beer and said, "This is 200 years old today." I would reply, "It is a horrible shame that it won't see 200 years and a sunrise."

Back