Help for a friend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukacat

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I am new here and want to say hi to everyone !
I have a question on behalf of a friend who wants to know how to make 4.5% ABV cider that would be suitable for raw vegans, or at least vegans,ie without using potassium metabisulphite (also cos risk of allergies, asthma etc). Is there a vegan friendly yeast inhibitor out there that he could use instead of potassium metabisulphite ? Thanks everyone !!

Heat 40c + will kill the yeast, but is not usually recomended as it is perfect temp for infections an oxydation
frost should also work (solid) not sure if there would be issues with clearing after

Cold storage could be an option, but not nessesarely 100% effective

Can you use lactose as sweetener sinse that dont ferment?

Read the sticky at the top of the forum on 'stove pot pasteurising with pics'. It explains everything very well using heat to pasteurise the bottles.

Does pasturizing work for raw vegans though? I can't recall what temperature raw vegans can go up to. It'd work for vegans at least.

Alternatively, you can just let the cider ferment completely out, have it carbonated at a fairly high amount, and sweeten when serving. More of a mix of cider and juice, and in this situation, you can let the abv get a bit higher since you'd dilute during serving.

Also, letting cider ferment completely when using cider without sugar additions seems to have kept mine somewhat sweet. Some unfermentables I suppose. (Except the honey crisp cider, wow that one was dry and potent so it's going to sit for a while)

the only problem is the 4.5%, right? you will need to find apples with less than average sugar levels, since an all-rounder like cox orange pippin fermented dry will generally give around 6% alcohol. i pretty much never use metabisulphite, and many of my favorite ciders are made from just fresh apples, nothing cooked, nothing added. can be primed with more juice for a carbonated cider. that's about as vegan as you can get, unless killing the poor wild yeast with stomach acid counts

Well to be honest, are vegans allowed yeast? Otherwise you will need to filter it out.

IMHO, alcohol of any sort should be off limits. It is a byproduct of yeast, much like milk from cows. Add to that the practice of using fining agents in most commercial products, and the vegans get to stay sober.

It doesn't matter how extreme a vegan is: everything they eat was alive at one time. Humans cannot digest dirt.:rockin:

Latest posts

Back