Biscuit? vs. Belgian Biscuit/Amber Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
OK - I'm workign at a new-ish LHBS and they have Belgian Biscuit/Amber Malt - is that Biscuit???? It's from Brewcraft if that uis any help.

I'm just going over what I get and what Brewcraft has in their order sheets!

cara-amber is an equivalent to Belgian biscuit malt. amber malt it self is way different then biscuit malt.
us victory malt can be used as a sub, though it isn't quite the same as biscuit

My LHBS said that Victory or Biscuit are good substitutes. Looking at the Northern Brewer Catalog their Crisp Amber malt is 27L. The Briess victory is also 27L and the Belgian biscuit malt id 24L.

Crisp Amber - Warm, pleasant, biscuit flavor with coffee undertones

Briess Victory -This exceptional malt delivers truly unique biscuity, nutty flavors. Well suited for Nut Brown Ales & other dark beers. Its clean flavor makes it well suited for ales and lagers alike. Use in small amounts to add complexity to lighter colored ales and lagers.

Biscuit is a highly kilned character malt that adds a wonderful toasted nut flavor and aromas to the beer. A bit more intense than Aromatic malt so do not use more than 5% in your recipe.

I think either is good but I went with Biscuit for my DFH Shelter Pale Ale

Back