Did I pitch too cool???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyK68

Reaction score
I think I may have messed up on the APA I made last night. When I was cooling the wort, I had a small problem in the house and the wort cooled more then I wanted it to. I pitched it not thinking there would be a problem at 68*. When I awoke this morning, the float inside the econolock is just sitting flat down on the air spout. The room is 68* and the beer had been sitting in there for 7-8 hrs. I wouldnt worry if I saw the float rise and didnt see bubbling but there is no action from it al all. I raised the temp in the room to try to warm it up and see if that excites the yeast, but what else can I do anything? Thanks.

it sometimes takes 24 hrs plus to see bubbles if you didn't pitch a starter.
i would not worry yet

68 is a perfect temp for an APA. Just give your yeast a little time especially if you didn't make a starter.

Yeap, the longest one of my APA's went before bubbling was 48+ hours... it was scary but then it took right off. Don't worry until the third day or so, then you want to consider repitching, but I doubt it'll come to that.

Ok, I pulled the airlock looked through the hole and there is definatley fermenting going on in the bucket. I would think the airlock is bad or there is a leak, however, when I press the top of the lid a little, the center piece rises and stays there. If there was a leak this wouldnt happen. I am going to change out the airlock just in case, but this isnt all that common is it?

Problem found! Bad lid. Changed lids and everything is ok. I must of had a small leak in the other lid. Dont get it though this lid just worked fine last week. Hope this beer isnt ruined do to the leak now.

I am sure you will be just fine. It's not like the entire bucket of wort has been exposed for the past few days. There was a nice cushion of co2 on top of your wort, preventing anything nasty from happening. Now, stop opening your lid "to check" on stuff. That's something I would not due unless necessary. Glad you found the problem.

loop

I didnt really open the lid to check it, I looked through the airlock hole. I opened the lid to change lids. I wanted to make sure I didnt have a leak (which I did) that was eventually going to ruin this beer. However, your advice is very well taken and I appreciate it. Thanks.

Back