Chest freezer is dead. Any uses for it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RegionalChaos

Reaction score
I wanted to hook my temp controller up to my old chest freezer to control my ferment temps. Only problem is my chest freezer isn't getting cold anymore... I haven't used it since we moved a few years back. Is there anything I can use the shell for that makes sense? Grain storage? My understanding is its not worth the cash to try and fix it, or install some other cooling unit in it.. Just junk it? My wife wants to upgrade our family freezer to a bigger nicer unit, so I might get a smaller working chest freezer to use.

Possibly. It was going to be a short term ferment box anyway, since I built a dual stage temp controller around one of those chinese ebay controllers. My plan is to build an insulated box to my own dimensions, and then use a small fridge to cool and a small heater to heat. Also I am incredibly sad to say I don't have a garage :( It's been in the back of my big box truck for quite a while.

Stick it out in the garage, and put a heat source in it to ferment in the winter?

+1 That's what I would do. You might still be able to use it for a fermentation chamber with some frozen 2 liter PET bottles to keep the temps under control and the fermenters would be in the dark which is always a good thing. I use one to store my bottled beer while conditioning.

Back