coopers real ale kit into an IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManyBrews

Reaction score
i'm about to make a coopers real ale kit and have been loooking at recipes for ipas and it seemed like a might be able to use the kit for one. the kit ibu's is 29, prettty high, and i have a bunch of dme and willamette/cascade hops. any thoughts on this recipe? disaster in the making?

30 mintue boil, 2 gallons boiled, 5.5 gallons total

1# crystal 20 steep
3#dme
1.5# honey
1 oz willamette 30 min
1 oz cascade 15 min
1 oz willamette 5 min
1 oz cascade flameout

coopes can added at end

I'd do a 60 minute boil (if you can). And, not sure I'd add the honey - if the coopers can is 3.3# you'd still have over 6.3# of fermentables with the dme and crystal.

Hops wise, i'd go:

1oz williamette 60min
1oz williamette 30min
1oz cascade 15min
1oz cascade flameout

But - brewing is all about experimenting!

i think the coopers can is 3.75#; i didn't know if i should just enter it as amber malt extract for an estimated OG on the hopville.com calculator?

i saw that lagunitas ipa uses the willamette/cascade hop combo, so i have high hopes for great hop flavor and aroma. not sure what my additions will be, but looking to use 3 oz of cascade and also 3 oz willamette including the dry hop.

I ordered a Coopers Real ale kit today from AustinBrew and they recomended another kit to be used to boast the alcohol content. Has anyone tried one of these and how did it turn out?

Usually all coopers kits reccomend adding DME or LME to compensate for the sugar. Ive never tried this, but ive made several coopers kits, never using more than 500g sugar, came out with pretty decent light beers.

I say go for the extracts since coopers reccomends it, adding to much sugar thins out the body of the beer.

Latest posts

Back