How would I have gotten a higher OG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agroff383

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was making my 4th batch yesterday, a Cream Ale from Northern Brewer (an extract kit). I steeped grains, didn't go over 160 during that, added 6 pounds of Pilsen extract, boiled for 60 minutes, chilled in my chilling "arrangment" (I will have to take pictures of that it is pretty cool), and the kit called for the OG to be 1.040. I pitched Safale US-05 and shook the crap out of the bucket, and took my sample for the hydrometer, and it was 1.046. Is this a big deal? I know it just means more alcohol, but in my prior batches I was always just a hair under and not over the suggested OG. Thanks for any input!

Only two things come to mind: (maybe) your wort isn't exactly 5 gals (or whatever measurement you use, for example 5.25 gals) or the wort wasn't all stirred in (and still stratified) at the time you took the reading.

Nothing to worry about really. :mug:

Only two things come to mind: (maybe) your wort isn't exactly 5 gals (or whatever measurement you use, for example 5.25 gals) or the wort wasn't all stirred in (and still stratified) at the time you took the reading.

Nothing to worry about really. :mug:

I agree on both points above. I would also add that, if it bothers you, add some boiled and cooled water, either now or when you bottle. That difference, though, isn't anything to worry about. I recently had a 1.045 end up at 1.065. For some reason, my efficiency went up 10 points. I will definitely be adding water to that one cause I want it to be a summer swiller.

I didn't have a freak out session because of the difference, but I was just wondering what caused it, and I figured it wasn't too bad because the difference between what I got and what the kit called for wasn't a huge difference. Thanks for the input!

Back