Vegie bacon maple porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skullface1818

Reaction score
Yes, Sacrelage...

I know. but I AM a vegetarian and I was wondering "can't I just use some veggie bacon to dry hop my porter?"

I assume so. Just dry up as much oil as possible. Its the same idea as the regular bacon porter.

just with veggie bacon strips (morning star in this case unless I find a more flavor rich variety).
Is it worth experimenting with? has anyone tried it before?

http://***********/component/resource/article/2060-breakfast-beers-bacon-beer

their is also a lot of other recipes out their. For mine I added some cherrywood smoked malt and Biscuit malt (5oz of each), as well as 7 LBS of liquid amber extract instead of the dried stuff (its more cost effective) as well as 12 oz of carmalized brown sugar and 24 OZ of maple syrup.

Okay after some research on veggie beacon I believe the problem you will have is it will break apart after being soaked for a period of time. Also since it relies on spices and smoke flavoring to give it the beacon taste I just don't think it will give you that flavor your looking for.

BobC: thanks for the heads up. If my friend really still wants to try the bacon porter Ill gladly prepare a gallon for him, but the recipe should still work out for a decent maple porter.

Back