SCORE!!! Got a sankey keg for free

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devaspawn

Reaction score
Friend of mine who could give a sh*t less about my brewing (or so I thought) was at his buddies house on Monday night. Apparently, this keg had been sitting empty in the front yard for 2 weeks. My friend asked him what he was gonna do with it and the guy said he was going to throw it away. My friend took it off his hands and now I have a new DIY project!!!

Woohoo!!! :rockin:

:tank:

Waiting for debate to start on how ethical it is to take a non legit (ie paid deposit for not paid for) keg in 3..2..1...

I am not too worried about it. The guy was going to throw it away. I have a use for it and it is no worse than finding it in a dumpster and rescuing it as far as I am concerned. Does anyone think it would be unethical for me to rescue one from the dumpster?

Well, they don't stamp the brewery owner's name on the kegs for nothing... I don't think finding it in a dumpster does anything to the ownership of it. But that's just my two cents - and its coming from a guy who has three keggles that he paid a premium for because they are supposedly legit, but I honestly don't know that for sure.

So am I a thief if I rescue said keg from the dumpster? I mean if I leave it in the dumpster it goes to the dump and gets scrapped. Do I have a moral obligation to call the brewery that's on their and tell them that their keg is in a dumpster? If not, why would I have a moral obligation to change it's final destination to my home as opposed to the dumpster? I could see if it were on it's way back to the brewery that taking it would be wrong.

So am I a thief if I rescue said keg from the dumpster? I mean if I leave it in the dumpster it goes to the dump and gets scrapped. Do I have a moral obligation to call the brewery that's on their and tell them that their keg is in a dumpster? If not, why would I have a moral obligation to change it's final destination to my home as opposed to the dumpster? I could see if it were on it's way back to the brewery that taking it would be wrong.

If it's in a dumpster, it's most likely just going to the landfill and not even going to be scrapped.

Mike

This is a topic that has been discuessed, hotly debated, and beaten like a dead horse...(someone find that picture!!!)

I think the tip I saw recently was, unless you are getting your kegs from a place like sabco, I wouldn't push the issue of ethics in reference to how you got it.... No one really gives you crap about the origin of your equipment unless they are invited with a thread like this....usually a good time to transfer into a conversion or build thread and let everyone forget about this one :)

Sounds good. I will be converting it to a keggle. I want to use a torch-cutter to cut out the top. Is this something that a plumber might have? My friend is a plumber so I am hoping that it's standard equipment for him. Also, I know that I can weld the valve on at the bottom of the keg. Can I go weldless? I did that with my 6 gallon aluminum pot for my HLT but that only goes on the glasstop stove and not on the propane burner.

You can certainly go weldless!

Its probably easier..... All you need is a ball valve, corresponding size nipple to go through the wall of the keggle, a corresponding size pipe coupling on the inside, and some high temp o-rings. If you need a parts list, Ive got a few.

Yeah that was my plan. I have no intentions of cutting myself up while cleaning or whatever else. How do people get such perfect circles. Do they employ the use of a compass-like tool?

If I find an awesome stereo, still in the box, in the back of some guy's car, and he tells me he'll just throw it out if I don't take it, it'd be ok, right?

Gotta go back and find that guy...

;)

Not even close to comparable. First off you are talking about a brand new item that everyone can generally agree has value. The possibility of him throwing it out is next to nil. The item I am referring to is of no real value to most people - at least as far as they know so it's not unreasonable in the slightest that he would get rid of it if he can't get a deposit that he might have made on it. I think it's safe to assume that he didn't have the possibility of getting a deposit back on it cause that's a known value and most people don't toss stuff they know they can readily get cash for. It had no intrinsic value to him so it's reasonable to believe that anyone would toss something that is big and holds no value for them. Your analogy is preposterous and ridiculous!

If I find an awesome stereo, still in the box, in the back of some guy's car, and he tells me he'll just throw it out if I don't take it, it'd be ok, right?

Gotta go back and find that guy...

;)

Please let the ethics debate end. As stated earlier, There is a thread devoted to this. Let just help the guy convert his keg.

Weldless is a great option. here's the Weldless kits I, and quite a few on here, used and they work great at a fair price.

Bargain Fittings

First off you are talking about a brand new item that everyone can generally agree has value.

I gotta call you out on that point as kegs obviously have value - even as scrap.

I'm not going to flog a dead horse here as it has been overly-debated, but the bottom line to me is if someone took something of value from me, paid me a 1/10 value deposit as a promisary note that it would be returned, and then threw it away, gave it away, etc - it doesn't make it any less mine. And if I found it in possesion of anyone else under any condition, it is still mine and I would demand its return.

Hey, did you know that keg is really the property of the brewery and you're stealing it if you don't return it? :drunk:

beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

Oh, and in case you didn't catch the sarcasm, here's a pic from one of our brew days. Now cut that keg open! ;)

I am not saying it doesn't have value but I bet I could ask 10 people in my office what would they do with an empty keg that they for some reason couldn't return for their deposit and at least 9 of them would say they'd trash it. Most people I know don't even think about getting scrap prices for stuff like that. I didn't even think about it until I read something on this forum a few weeks ago.

You're right, it makes it no less the brewery's no matter how many hands it passes through but I have no obligation to seek out the place the person got it from to return it. I will just hold on to it until the owner comes seeking it and give it to them at that time.

Back