Suggestions on my Dunkelweizen recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chunktronic

Reaction score
I'm gonna pick up ingredients this weekend for a Dunkelweizen, here's the recipe I'm planning:

6 lbs Wheat LME
3 lbs Munich LME
10 oz Chocolate malt
4 oz Roasted Malt

1 oz Hallertau at 60, .5 oz Hallertau at 15

I'll use a couple vials of whatever german heffeweizen yeast they recommend at the store (unless you can recommend one)

Will this make a good dunkelweizen? I want it to be rich and kind of coffee like. Suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help.

skip the late hop addition (no hop flavor in german weizens) and you probably don't need the full ounce for the 60 either, depending on the AA%, of course.

also, that's really too much roasted malt for a dunkelweizen IMO. i only use 6 ounces of chocolate in mine, no roasted barley. i'm drinking one right now that is just fantastic. it's really dark...i used a couple ounces of carafa to darken it up without much flavor.

i use WLP300 in most of my hefeweizens. the current one uses that...it has just the right amount of esters. this suprised me, since it fermented rather high at first.

The WLP380 made a really good dunkelweizen once, too...slight apricot notes and less banana/clove.

EDIT: Oh, and you really only need Wheat Malt Extract. It already comes as a blend of Wheat and Barley.

I would go something more like:

7-8 lbs Wheat LME
6 oz Chocolate Malt
0.75 oz Hallertau at 60
WLP300

ferment in the low 60s

:mug:

oh, and if you want you could steep 2 pounds of munich malt with the chocolate malt in a gallon of water at 150-155°F for 30 minutes. this will add some sugars and nice, malty flavor.

you may wish to reduce the LME by a pound if you do this.

Back