Westworld

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeatyPortion

Internet Bartender
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
IvqRyem.gif

This show is definitely my favorite at the moment. I'm digging the multiple storylines and possible theories. It's kind of nice to have a show that can really make you think about the nature of what it means to be human one second and then be all pew pew pew I'm Ed Harris mothfvcka the next. Who else is watching this and digging it? I won't talk about last night's episode if anyone hasn't seen it yet.

This following link has the two (or three) timeline theory and some other stuff. I like that this show is keeping everyone in the dark about certain characters and hopefully it just keeps cranking up the weirdness.

westworld-spoiler.gif

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...s-the-man-in-black-who-is-arnold-who-is-wyatt

The wife and I have been watching and enjoying this. Well written with a lot of good story lines. Off to watch last nights episode now.

The family loves it. It reminds me of Battelstar Galactica in the "Humanlike Android" department, and the production value. We usually watch on the weekend, or maybe Monday night if we've forgotten to catch it before then. I honestly didn't know what night of the week it was on. We watch on HBO Go.

It's adult themed, like Game of Thrones. The effects are really good. The acting is really good. The plot is intriguing, and the writing is top notch.

There is more going on than you think. They have started to reveal the main story a bit, but leaving you guessing.

Ed Harris is a fantastic bad guy! (or is he a bad guy at all?)

The wife and I have been watching and enjoying this. Well written with a lot of good story lines. Off to watch last nights episode now.
My wife and I watch this too; in fact, it's about the only show we watch together anymore. It's been awhile since we both enjoyed a show, mostly I'll like something and she won't, or vice versa.

The family loves it. It reminds me of Battelstar Galactica in the "Humanlike Android" department, and the production value. We usually watch on the weekend, or maybe Monday night if we've forgotten to catch it before then. I honestly didn't know what night of the week it was on. We watch on HBO Go.

It's adult themed, like Game of Thrones. The effects are really good. The acting is really good. The plot is intriguing, and the writing is top notch.

There is more going on than you think. They have started to reveal the main story a bit, but leaving you guessing.

Ed Harris is a fantastic bad guy! (or is he a bad guy at all?)
Absolutely, and that's what I really like about this show: we don't really know what's going on in a good way. It's not like some shows where the plot is convoluted to the point where it's frustrating, or the plot never decides what it wants to be and there's no cohesion; the only complaint I might have is re-watchability. And I say might because I really haven't gone back to watch the previous shows.

giphy.gif

I think so far I'd be inclined to watch again in a while. I don't normally re-watch shows as a rule, because there is always something new and exciting to check out, but I think in this case there may be more details to pick up on that were missed the first time through.

And it's cool to just look at all the pretty effects too.

I guess it depends on how well they keep it interesting and how long they go between seasons. *cough* HBO *cough*

I think so far I'd be inclined to watch again in a while. I don't normally re-watch shows as a rule, because there is always something new and exciting to check out, but I think in this case there may be more details to pick up on that were missed the first time through.

And it's cool to just look at all the pretty effects too.

I guess it depends on how well they keep it interesting and how long they go between seasons. *cough* HBO *cough*

As long as they don't cheap out and fire their showrunner (I'm looking at you, AMC) I'm sure they'll be fine. At least, I hope so. I haven't been this interested in a show since I first saw GOT, and I find Westworld to be far more interesting (not that GOT wasn't or isn't). It's like a philosophical mystery sci-fi thriller.

As long as they don't cheap out and fire their showrunner (I'm looking at you, AMC) I'm sure they'll be fine. At least, I hope so. I haven't been this interested in a show since I first saw GOT, and I find Westworld to be far more interesting (not that GOT wasn't or isn't). It's like a philosophical mystery sci-fi thriller.

I agree. I've seen a few shows lose quality noticeably after a change in show runner or certain writers.

What I fear most is a sudden change in direction after they realize that the show is so popular that it's ends up running longer than they planned for, and had written for. Then it's probably either going to start containing some very uninteresting filler episodes, or just starts to feel like there is no direction.

Remember Heroes and Lost?

I agree. I've seen a few shows lose quality noticeably after a change in show runner or certain writers.

What I fear most is a sudden change in direction after they realize that the show is so popular that it's ends up running longer than they planned for, and had written for. Then it's probably either going to start containing some very uninteresting filler episodes, or just starts to feel like there is no direction.

Remember Heroes and Lost?

I actually never got into either of those shows but I get your meaning. Hopefully, it would be more Band of Brothers or The Pacific, where they have dedicated material for a certain time period and don't add spin-offs. Plus, look at how much time passed between those two series. Not the same as Westworld but it shows that HBO has the capability to not rush things or add too much filler.

I was just recommended this show by my daughter. She said, "it's good, but Mom will not like it!" I read the reviews on Rotten Tomatos and I got excited.

I saw the 1st episode last night. It's good. It's very good. It's got as much potential as GOT. It's better acted, more cerebral, and has more tits! :D

I think it's better than The Walking Dead. TWD has a habit of linking boring expisodes one after another.

Kodi & an all night binge in the works........................................... a few homebrew, popcorn, and look out! :p

One more episode to get caught up. Last one was real good. They are really blurring the distinction of what it means to be human.

This is one of those shows that I would hate to have it end after 1-2 seasons, but I'd really want it to have a complete story. It would be sad if it just dragged on with nothing to say and nowhere to go. Better to go out at the end, even if it's only a couple of seasons.

One more episode to get caught up. Last one was real good. They are really blurring the distinction of what it means to be human.

This is one of those shows that I would hate to have it end after 1-2 seasons, but I'd really want it to have a complete story. It would be sad if it just dragged on with nothing to say and nowhere to go. Better to go out at the end, even if it's only a couple of seasons.

Exactly my thoughts here - how far/long can we go with the story, as much as I love it I'd hate it to drag on until we're just tired of it.

Just got caught up on the latest episode last night. A lot of revelations. My question though is when Ford shows the picture to Bernard, who is the third person in the photo? Ford and Arnold are there, but there's a third person in the middle. Who is it? Or is that actually Ford, Arnold and Bernard?

Just got caught up on the latest episode last night. A lot of revelations. My question though is when Ford shows the picture to Bernard, who is the third person in the photo? Ford and Arnold are there, but there's a third person in the middle. Who is it? Or is that actually Ford, Arnold and Bernard?

The "people" in the photo are (L-R) Ford, a host version of Ford's father, and Arnold.

5-things-you-might-have-missed-in-westworld-episode-9-the-well-tempered-clavier.jpg

Everyone catch the season finale?

Good. Now let's talk about what the heck is going on! The show had me fooled with the memory flashbacks. I hadn't read any theories about the show so it was a new concept for me. Some of the signs were there, looking back.

Curious to see where the show will go next. I knew there was a limit to haw long they could keep plugging away at the whole "what it means to be alive" thing, and apparently they are progressing from that now to a more action "Oriented" plot. (Pun required).

I'm just wondering if it would have been more interesting for Maeve to escape out into the world. Maybe they are saving that for season 3 or 4?

I thought Ford's ending was incredible. What a showman! I would not doubt if he makes it back into the show as a Host, though. I think the Hosts will have to recreate the guests and board members who were killed at the end or the world will figure out what happened and go there to clean house. I suspect they will create replicas to send back out to cover their tracks until enough Hosts can be made to infiltrate society.

SPOILER WARNING (just to be safe)

Everyone catch the season finale?

I'm just wondering if it would have been more interesting for Maeve to escape out into the world. Maybe they are saving that for season 3 or 4?

I thought Ford's ending was incredible.

For me, Maeve's last-minute retreat cemented a point that they've made many times: that we're all in "our own little loops" and even when we're aware of it, even when we have a chance to break it, we'll usually just pick the safe solution and return to the loop we know.

Another ETA: upon rewatch, I remembered that she was programmed to "ESCAPE," so NOT doing so may actually be an assertion of her free will over her previous programming.

As for Ford, what I liked was the number of times our perception of his motivations changed through the season. First, he's the loving "father figure," then he's the uncaring and money-motivated park-pusher, then he's the evil maniac with unknown goals, then finally back to being the protecting "father figure."

ETA: I just also want to note that the name of the actor playing Sylvester is Ptolemy Slocum. If that isn't one of the coolest names I've ever heard...

A THIRD ETA: if anyone really wants to sink their teeth into the tin-hat theories behind a series like this one, or GoT, or Mr. Robot, or a dozen others: check out the podcasts by Bald Move. It's a couple guys who basically make a living by watching the series and sorting through all the fan-driven speculation and discussion on sites like Reddit and their own forums, then present the info in a podcast that comes out a couple days after each episode airs. It's pretty good stuff.

Yeah, that was a great 90 minutes. I missed something at the end of the credits apparently and I won't say what in case everyone else turned off the TV at that point too.

Great finale. Most questions answers, still had a twist with Ford and the new narrative (as most new of MIB = William) and just a really well written episode and season. Looks like season 2 won't be until 2018 though...

Do you have HBO NOW or GO?

Man, I had to call Dish Network to figure out why my second remote wasn't working right (my fault) and the show was nearly over when I turned on the TV last night to work on the problem.

Ended up restarting the receiver just before the end of the show, and of course it didn't finish rebooting until after the credits!

Seems like that's life, LOL!

I bet you can find it on Youtube by now too...

Good ending, I really enjoyed the series as a whole. Also, samurais!

And now this thread will sleep for a few years.

I enjoyed it. I'll give the series a 9 out of 10.

The best part of the whole thing.................... it made you think!

Not too many shows today have that quality.

michelangelo-creation-of-adam-590x474.jpg

P.S. Kodi is the bomb!

Really! I spent the greater part of yesterday and this morning watching season 1. WHERE IS SEASON 2!

I probably need to rewatch all of season 1 again. I'm sure there is a ton I missed.

Really! I spent the greater part of yesterday and this morning watching season 1. WHERE IS SEASON 2!

Don't get excited. They're already saying it won't be out until sometime in 2018. They're not even going to TRY to stay on a one season per year schedule.

I think it's time to DL the classic movie and see if the family will enjoy it. They are not as accepting of older films as I am.

Concept is exactly the same, POV has switched. The cool thing is that it is a proper science fiction movie, which accurately predicted some things that have come to pass.

I'm sure back in the day the everyday person may have thought a computer "virus" as being a bit ludicrous, while computer experts were probably mostly laughing. Years later the experts have stopped laughing and the everyday people recognize a virus as not only possible, but actually very common!

Even the concept of computers building other computers is far from science fiction. It's been repeated in Sci-fi many times over the years, and is more or less a reality these days.

Anyway, I'm getting the old movie now. We'll see how the family accepts the offer to watch. I may have to re-watch it by myself. (Not the first time this has happened...)

Latest posts

Back