American Wheat Ale (Wyeast Labs #1010)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dycokac

Reaction score
I'm not farmilar with this yeast, and am using it in the honey kolsch kit from Northern Brewer.

Should I expect much krausen?

My experience so far (since this is my first time using wyeast) i made a starter, so 3 hours before i boiled the DME, i pulled the activator pack out of the fridge, let it warm up for about half an hour and then smacked it. 3 hours later it was swelled nicely. I made my starter with 2 cups watter, 1/2 cup DME, boiled 10 minutes like usual. Coolled it to low 70s, and pitched the yeast on it. This am, i have no krauzen in the starter, but it looks seperated.

Does this strain floccuate at all? I'm more used to whitelabs stuff, i've used california ale, british ale, and hefe VI.

Also, will I have any problems using one of my 5 gallon carboys on this? I could free up my 6.5 by racking the 8-8-08 RIS which is about ready to move anyway.

I am actually planning on brewing that exact same beer today. I made a starter on Tuesday, and then stuck it in the fridge yesterday. If you leave it alone, it will flocculate pretty well, but the slightest touch, stirs it up. I stuck it in the fridge to drop the yeast completely out. Here's a pic:

americanwheatstarter.JPG

Well, it may have gone through high krausen through the night. That is usually what happens to mine. I start them in the evening. Shake it up every 20 minutes or so, and then in the morning, it is already settling out.

FYI, I pitched mine last night at 5pm. I woke up this morning and found my airlock to be nearly clogged with krausen. This yeast is currently going ape chit on my honey kolsch. Just thought I'd let you know.

chase said:
FYI, I pitched mine last night at 5pm. I woke up this morning and found my airlock to be nearly clogged with krausen. This yeast is currently going ape chit on my honey kolsch. Just thought I'd let you know.

Thanks! i'll keep that in mind... use blowoff :). On another note... when should I add the honey? it's unclear to me.

I'm brew'n mine tomorrow afternoon.

You want to add the honey at flameout. If you are using a wort chiller, wait about 15 minutes after adding the honey, to turn on the chiller. The honey needs to be pasteurized. If you boil the honey, you will lose a lot of the flavors from the honey.

I just do a water bath in my bathtub. Ground water is pretty cold this time a year, and with changing out the bath water once, i can get to pitching temp in about 30 minutes.

When i step up to full boils, i plan on going counter flow chiller, so i'm quite excited about that :).

thanks for the tips!

all went smooth, finished with 1.039/1.040 OG. 4 hours later it was pop'n through the blowoff about every minute. This morning krausen is escaping to the blowoff tank and it's as almost a steady gas release.

I tried doing a late extract addition too, poured about half of the jug in to start the boil and then did flameout at 45 minutes and steeped the rest of the LME and the honey for another 15 and then chilled it.

just an updated, checked my gravity and racked to clearing tank this morning. I'm at 1.009 already and it tastes yummy! Definately washing that yeast tomorrow.

Back