Show us your sculpture or brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished mine up last night
Here is the build thread
IMG_33541.JPG

Nice. You might want to consider replacing that switch with a waterproof box. They're not expensive. Something like this might work nicely.

u837005.jpg

I've got a switch for my pump, too. There's no extra plug outlet. It's just a grey box enclosing a switch. Flipping the switch on the box moves some forks on the inside that flip the actual switch. Works well and I don't worry about it getting wet. I think the flip-top covers should be fine, too.

I think a flip-top cover will be more than enough. Spilling/over-flowing is not much of a problem in the MLT. All I have to worry about are random plumbing leaks. Your setup is extra safe and I have to say, I appreciate that. Good work!

What do yo uthink of the rest of the build here

Yeah, I know what you mean, but I still end up spilling crap everywhere. Every time I pull a disconnect something goes somewhere. :drunk:

The build looks great. Very similar to my stand. I think the single tier stand is the best design! I much prefer it over the 3-tier I built first.

Oooh. Shiny!

Come on, a real brewer would have burnt wort from boil overs on the side of his kettle. And where are the dents? Yeesh...

Seriously though.. do you have to wear welding glasses around that thing on a sunny day? :D

If I remember correctly, this is the guy who built this beautiful work of art without ever brewing all grain first. So you're right - there's no burnt wort, dents, etc., because it's never been used. ;)

It really is shiny, though. Me likes shiny!

If I remember correctly, this is the guy who built this beautiful work of art without ever brewing all grain first. So you're right - there's no burnt wort, dents, etc., because it's never been used. ;)

It really is shiny, though. Me likes shiny!

It's like the really nice car that never leaves the garage. Just wipes it down with a diaper

C'mon now, seriously? Mods - isn't there some rule about people posting rediculous stuff like this? Can't we get this guy banned for showing off or something?

I never said I was a brewer I'm a fabricator !

I'm going to pop it's and my cherry on the 21 or 22 of march anyone that wants to come over is welcome.

I showed it to the guy that owns Arbor brewing and Corner brewing and he said he would send his brewers up to help make the first batch...I thought that was a nice offer.
Pat

I never said I was a brewer I'm a fabricator !

I'm going to pop it's and my cherry on the 21 or 22 of march anyone that wants to come over is welcome.

I showed it to the guy that owns Arbor brewing and Corner brewing and he said he would send his brewers up to help make the first batch...I thought that was a nice offer.
Pat

Thats an awesome deal. Don't forget the pics or webcam/drunkin youtube video on brew day.

I'll be posting the updated version of my rig (3 tier pole style and way up on this thread) after I get my march pump. That could be a couple weeks. I think I'm going to go direct fired rims style. Might change it to a herms later on. Manual style. I like to be in control, I don't want no temp sensor, micro controller telling me how to brew my beer... ;)

Who am I kidding, 2 years from now and it will be all automated. lol 2 years casue for now I'm working on getting the filtering system easier to do. I had a hell of a night with clogged filters on this damn cider....

It's like the really nice car that never leaves the garage. Just wipes it down with a diaper
Wait you want me to DRIVE my fun car in this weather, it might get wet. ;) also keep in mind that pampers will scrach your clear coat :(

The first thing i am going to build if/when i move back to the states is a brew sculpture.

My rig.

Nice job! I like the "kettle keepers". You'll notice I used something quite similar. Where did you purchase that yellow gas line??

Thanks!
Michael

Thanks. As Sparky said, I got the flexible gas lines at Home Depot. They're great since I wanted to have some flexibility in moving the burners up and down to adjust them once I had the main part of the gas pipe attached to the stand. Plus, I didn't have to worry about getting the black iron pipe cut into special sizes that way.

Thanks. As Sparky said, I got the flexible gas lines at Home Depot. They're great since I wanted to have some flexibility in moving the burners up and down to adjust them once I had the main part of the gas pipe attached to the stand. Plus, I didn't have to worry about getting the black iron pipe cut into special sizes that way.

Cool, thanks! What do you use to connect the whole system to your gas supple line?

Cool, thanks! What do you use to connect the whole system to your gas supple line?

It's propane, so I just have a 1/2' MPT to 3/8" male flare fitting at the end of the black iron pipe run that hooks up to my propane tank/regulator. Easy as pie :ban:

Here is the Monolith. It is a transformed commercial 80 qt coffee urn. i took out the pump and the heating elements and modified it for beer brewing. it houses two side by side 40 qt stainless pots that came with spigots and sight valves (slightly modified). i rigged the pump to go through the sparge arm, which was needed zero modification. i added the thermometers with great difficulty and insulated the whole thing. the HLT on the left side is heated by a 1200 watt homemade heatstick.
IMG_4786.JPG

IMG_4783.JPG

IMG_4784.JPG

IMG_4782.JPG

I've definitely got a bit of an inferiority complex kicking in after looking at some of these rigs but I will still go ahead and put mine out. This is the second all grain brew day for me and first where I didn't have my set up completely jerry rigged. It's not the prettiest thing to look at but for only having been brewing for 3 months I am fairly pleased with the progress.

photo-2.jpg

I've definitely got a bit of an inferiority complex kicking in after looking at some of these rigs but I will still go ahead and put mine out. This is the second all grain brew day for me and first where I didn't have my set up completely jerry rigged. It's not the prettiest thing to look at but for only having been brewing for 3 months I am fairly pleased with the progress.

photo-2.jpg

If it works, it is a good rig!

If that's what you have after 3 months of brewing, you have nothing to be ashamed of! Keep brewing, learning, and improving, and you too will be posting some smokin hot brewrig that others will oogle and wish they had. Believe it or not, it looks as though you are ahead of the curve! I'll keep an eye out for you in my rearview mirror!!!

I recently finished stage one on my brew stand. This HLT is on top of a welded 17 x 17 x 19 frame with my 10" natural gas burner inside. I put some 22 gauge plate 16 x 16 on the sides for wind shield First day of trying it out on my driveway and the flame blew out twice. I live in a valley in central texas and with wind almost constant and sometimes 20-30 MPH gusts, I am going to have to shield it top to bottom and underneath. :(

In looking at some of the brew stands here on this thread, I can only conclude a lot of you don't have to deal with much wind or have to pick your brew days when wind is not a problem.

If that's what you have after 3 months of brewing, you have nothing to be ashamed of! Keep brewing, learning, and improving, and you too will be posting some smokin hot brewrig that others will oogle and wish they had. Believe it or not, it looks as though you are ahead of the curve! I'll keep an eye out for you in my rearview mirror!!!

Ditto, Been a year and 3 months for me. I'm still very much in the "Let's see what's laying in the garage this week that I can stack for different vessel heights" phase.

Suprised I have not seen a single brew ladder in all these sculptures.......'

Oh and hi!! lol first time poster for here

Folded up and ready to travel
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s8/michael90t/HomeBrewing/Equipment/Brewladder4.jpg

Unfolded and ready for equipment
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s8/michael90t/HomeBrewing/Equipment/Brewladder2.jpg

Setup and ready for brewday!!
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s8/michael90t/HomeBrewing/april1809brew/DSCF0609.jpg

Folder with all my stuff
http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s8/michael90t/HomeBrewing/

Nother folder one of the brewdays
http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s8/michael90t/HomeBrewing/april1809brew/

The mashtun has a stainless false bottom now and the HLT is heated with a 120v electric heater element........ Think I will add some plumbing for the HLT to make it easier to fill with water and such..........

Edit:moved pictures links broke.....

It's not finished yet, but here's my on-the-cheap copied space-saving design. :D

I've still got to get the wheels on it and pick up one more burner.

brewstand001.jpg
brewstand002.jpg

brewstand003.jpg

Here's my direct fired RIMS:

3387882340_0a20194946.jpg

3387884926_d5f7a43862.jpg

Adjustable feet for leveling tower & wheels for easy mobility.

3231018846_9f6e9ec212.jpg

and when not in use most components stacked on shelves for storage:

3388690512_9ec996b601.jpg

The tower itself only weighs about 50 lbs and I can haul it on the roof rack of my SUV for group brews.

Might try to get some better pictures the next time I brew outside.

Cat22
I dig the worklight mounted in there.
Xakk
I also like the folding table. Whatever you can do to make it more compact, that's genius.

Back