Seeking Moose Drool Brown Ale Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biannual7

Reaction score
Brewers,

I'm looking to make a partial mash Moose Droolish brew. I've never actually had a one, but it sounds amazing from reviews. The only difference that I'm going for is I want it to have a little hop to it, a little kick.

My question is what hops to use and what method should I use them? Also malt suggestions from anyone who's had/made the drool are welcome. Thanks for the help guys.

Cheers,

Brian

I appreciate the help guys, this is exactly what I needed. Sorry I'm pretty early along in brewing. Like I said, I'm going for something with a little more kick than a standard Brown ale.what's a nice balanced hop I could use that would blend well with the malts suggested for the moose drool?

Cascade is always a good bet if you want some citrus/grapefruit.

Otherwise, I would go with East Kent Goldings. They add a lot of nice earthy fruitiness to brown ales

Anchor's Breckle's Brown is all Citra. I've never had it, but Anchor would not put out a beer that wasn't fantastic.

Haven't brewed it yet, but it's on my list of upcoming brews, if you want a brown ale with kick I would look for threads/links to Tasty's "Janet's Brown Ale" , by every description it's a brown ale with the hop kick you say you're looking for

I would have to look back at my notes for the type of hops used, but I absolutely love the way my Moose Drool clone from Austin Homebrew turned out. I just kegged it three weeks ago and it just keeps getting better. I would highly recommend it. Mine was the extract version (and my first ever batch) but they also offer the partial mash and all grain versions of the recipe as well. I fell in love with Big Sky's MD while living in Montana years ago. They don't distribute east of the Mississippi, so I can't conduct a side by side comparison, but nonetheless, it's delicious and I still can't believe I made it.

Back