will a KAB5 damage a wood deck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malkore

Reaction score
my other turkey fryer is way lower on the btu's and a taller stand as compared to the KAB5 I just un-packed.

the manual says you shouldn't use on a wood deck...is that just for liability, or is it indeed downright stupid/dangerous?

I was going to grab 4 marble tiles at home depot in the morning if a heat barrier is needed, as i need a 10gallon victory cooler for mashing bigger beers.

Probably more of a CYA statement that anything, though it could dry the wood out a little more than you'd like. Tile sounds like a good investment.

I put mine on two cinder blocks on my deck. The cinder blocks are on a grill pad. Works great and I can drain my keggle into my fermenter buckets just fine.

Also, remember that the manufacturers of the turkey fryer are going to assume you're going to be frying turkeys in it. I know, what crazy talk is that!!! If you had a huge grease fire on a wood deck that could really ruin your day.

I concur with the above advice, get some kind of heat shield under the burner, or get it raised up on blocks a bit.

Here is a shot from my most recent brew day:

brewday1.jpg

There were a few sample tiles laying around and I felt it would be in my best interest to put them under my burner. I don't think it was completely necessary but it was probably worth the effort.

mine's the one that looks like this
bayou_KAB5.jpg

so a little lower to the ground. I plan to go try to find 4 tiles right now if home depot sells em like that.

hopefully they have a victory cooler still in stock in the 10gal size, and I also need copper wire so I can keep my chiller coil from getting 'sprung'.

You'll notice I actually use a piece of scrap wood to stabilize the burner on a milk crate.

The heat is not an issue, but any kind of boil over and subsequent scorching of the wort, can make a bit of a mess of your deck.

I'd say your good to use a few ceramic tiles, not because of the heat, but to keep your deck from getting messed up.

Me_Brewing.jpg

Once again, thank goodness for Homebrewtalk. I just got my turkey fryer to go all grain for Christmas, and I started to get a little bit worried about brewing on my deck after reading all of the manufacturer's warnings. My wife is already slightly dubious about this idea...ceramic tiles are a great idea though. I think I'll go that route.

Back