Whirlpool/Hopsteep Do I need Lid on?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theveganbrewer

Reaction score
I whirlpool for aroma, some people call it a hop steep I think, but basically, flameout additions going in between flameout and fermenter with about a 30 minute whirlpool in there.

I've done this a few times with great results in my IPAs. But it's a pain the in butt. I am a 5 gallon brewer with an immersion chiller and no pump. If I sanitize the chiller in the boil, I can't keep the lid on while whirlpooling and keep the chiller sanitized. Does that matter? Do I need the lid on during the whirlpool? Would any additional equipment make this easier for me? A pump, or chiller, or recirculation like Jamil suggests?

Thanks.

I just got to thinking when I was reading about hopbacks and how the enclosed space keeps the aromas in and it got me to wondering about not having a lid on my kettle during the steep. I've never covered before either.

I just got to thinking when I was reading about hopbacks and how the enclosed space keeps the aromas in and it got me to wondering about not having a lid on my kettle during the steep. I've never covered before either.

there is a theory that DMS continues to form after the boil, and into the chilling, and keeping a lid on traps those volatiles, but DMS has never been an issue for me. I do usually do some late 0 minute hop additions and hold the wort at 140+ for 20-30 minutes for a hopstand. I love hoppy beers, and brew about 80% ambers/APAs/IPAs.

The only time I would suggest using a lid for your kettle (or heavy duty aluminum foil if you don't have a lid) is during the last 30 seconds of the boil throughout the cooling period from 212 F down to 65 F. This is more for sanitation purposes than anything else.

I will briefly remove the lid to add the aroma steep hops and give the wort the occasional stir to aid the cooling process. Though I never had an issue with DMS off flavors or infection with this method. And you can smell my IPAs from 5 feet away. I'm sure Yooper's also turn out similar. So I don't think the lid has much to do with the end hop aroma. It's more about how much hops you use, how aromatic & fresh they are, and when you add them.

I dont have a lid for my kettle either, so what I have been doing when I "whirlpool" steep is to put a sheet of tinfoil over the top which covers about 80-90 percent of my kettle, allowing just enough room to have the chiller stick out of the side. Probably not needed since the temp is above 180 the whole steep but its nice to be able to clean up and bring things back downstairs as I let the beer steep.

would you recommend a different steep temp, bobbrews? you've given me some great advice/help in the past so I would love to hear what your method is. I have been chilling to about 180-190 and leaving it there for the duration of my steep.

I have been chilling to about 180-190 and leaving it there for the duration of my steep.

If that's the case, then no... you're doing it right enough. I toss them in at 160F and slow chill down to 65F in the course of 30 minutes. Making sure the majority of the steep is within the 100-160 F range. But that is just another way.

Probably not needed since the temp is above 180 the whole steep

This sentence makes it seem as if your entire steep is above 180F. If that's the case, it would just be a simple flameout addition.

My steeps have all ended at around 180 so they are above that temperature for the duration, although I must say this has been working really well for me. I will give your method a try next time though and see what happens. :mug:

Back