Pinochle Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moncoon

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Safale US05
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Missed it
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
~38
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
6 days @ 72 F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
8 days @ 68 F
Tasting Notes
see below
Malts
4# Pilsner LME
3# Light LME
10 oz Carapils
8 oz Caramunich

Hops
1.5 oz Cascade (60 min)
1.25 oz Cascade (10 min)
1.25 oz Cascade (1 min)

Other
3 pods Green Cardamom (seeds only) (60 min)
4 pods Green Cardamom (seeds only) (secondary)

This was my monumental 5th batch. I still don't know what I'm doing, but the beer keeps coming out just fine. I missed the hydrometer reading at racking and bottling on this one, but based on previous and succeeding brews with this yeast, I would assume the FG to be around 1.016-1.018.

I call it Pinochle Pale because of the Cardamom (Get it? CARDamom... Pinochle is a card game... moving on). The cardamom on it's own is a spice that has a very citrusy nose with a pepper flavor and a bit of that citrus coming through. I used it as a complement to the Cascade hops, however with the amount of aroma and flavor hop additions I used the cardamom can be difficult to detect if you don't know it's in there, but there is definitely a hint of the spice in there (yes, I know a bit contradictory).

In future attempts at this recipe (there will definitely be more, I love this beer and have loads of cardamom left) I will probably drop the aroma and flavor hop additions to 0.75 oz each to let the cardamom come through a bit more.

The Safale yeast provided a very clean, crisp finish. Before this brew I would just pitch and seal. After reading the Fermentis website about their yeasts, I now follow their advice and aerate the wort thirty minutes after pitching. This has provided a vigorous fermentation usually within 6 hours after pitching. If you are not doing this with dried yeast, you should, unless of course you are making a starter.

Back