Yeast Cake???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrb

Reaction score
What is a yeast cake?

AND

How does one pitch upon it?

I know that this sounds like a newbie question,
and it is. I have my third batch bubbling strong,
and it has a nice Dry English Ale Yeast in it and
I plan to do an IPA once this is done. So.........

Yeast cake is basically the yeast etc in the bottom of your primary fermenter. What you'll do is brew your IPA; once it is cooled (or while it's cooling) rack your existing batch into the secondary or bottle bucket / keg if not using a secondary. Then oxygenate your IPA batch and then just siphon it right on top of the yeast in the primary.

Word of warning, these can ferment furiosly and you may need to have a blow-off setup ready. My 1st time doing this it blew the top off my plastic fermenter and got beer all over the place. Even dented my ceiling. Doing a blow-off in a bucket is a little bit harder to do because of the small opening in the top. I use a carboy now for my primary.

Thanks for the information.

Now how long can I keep this cake fresh, until I use it in a future brew?

It's best to rack wort on it right away, but if keeped cool a week or two. Keep it in a cool dark place and keep an air lock on it.:ban:

omniscientomar said:
Once again... BLOW OFF TUBE!! Gotta have it man... I've yet to dent my ceiling... phew!

I'm ready. This Belgian Blonde just went onto my Wit yeast cake...

Belgian_Blonde_1.JPG

Back