Does anybody get the kids involved?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son is only 9 months old and he is already my stupidvisor. He sits on the floor and watches me brew and bottle. I move him for certain parts of the process; but he crawls right back in when I move to the next step.

As long as he is interested I plan on using brewing to teach him some math, some science, some history, some culture, and some patience and restraint - while having some "guy" time.

I have 16 month old twin daughters and I know they would love to eat the barley, sprinkle the yeast on the floor, drink the sanitaizing solution, splash around in the wort, burn the house down during the boil, and completely rampage all my equipment if I let them. They are the anti-brewers. I look forward to having them help me when they get older. Some of these stories all you have are too funny.

I used to help my father and uncles make beer and wine. The best times I can remember were when he borrowed a really nice wine press from a friend. We pressed 1 ton of concord grapes in the front yard. I think we got 2 1/2 barrels of juice out of them.

My 6- and 8- year old daughters like to help me measure and grind grain, weigh when packaging a pound of hops, perform hop additions, and bottling. The 6- year old like to fill, and the 8-year old actually gets the caps on straight and sealed.

No issues with wanting to drink, they just like the process. Kinda similar to helping with car work. They can't drive, but they like to work on cars. The 6-year old like to munch a little spent grain, too. Especailly likes finding doughballs (still sweet).

The older one was in church, they were talking about making bread for the Sacrament. She pipes up and says, "Hey, those are the same ingredients as in beer!"

I'm so proud!

Dave

My 5 year old daughter knows more about beer than pretty much all of my friends. She is very curious aout it. I don't remember the last time I made my own hop additions thanks to her. Now she like cracking the grain, by hand, with the Victoria mill. I remember she grabbed a bottle of dregs I had left sitting on the table. She tasted it, and now tells me all the time that beer is garbage. She loves making it, though.

I have 3 and 6 year old girls. They enjoying "pulling the trigger" on the screw gun to crush the malt, throwing the hops in the wort, and filling the bottles when I don't keg the beer.

i have a 5 yr old and a 2 yr old. the 5 yr old has gone with me a few times to the homebrew store. other than that, they both just ask what i'm doing then continue on with their playing. i'm thinking of getting into doing some soda so they'd be able to have some homemade root beer to drink. :mug:

Kids are for bottling.

va_kidsfirst.jpg

My 7 year old son helps brew; I also let him take a sip every now and again. He knows it's daddys beer but I don't want to scold him if he wants to taste it.

My daughter's first shopping trip when she was 1.5 weeks old was to the sporting goods store for ammunition and to the brew store. At about 14 months or so she started helping me move bottles into the dishwasher for sanitizing. She also helps pick out grains at the brew store. I hope it is something we can bond over as she grows.

Back